• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father establishing rights to unborn child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karieclark

California
My son found out that he is going to be a father. The mother is considering putting the child up for adoption or worse yet abortion because she "still has things to do before she becomes a parent." They are in their 20's. How can he establish rights as a father to an unborn child in the state of California to keep either thing from happening? He wants the child, and he wants to be with the mother. What can be done on his end? Shouldn't he have a say?

Last edited:

Just Blue

California
My son found out that he is going to be a father. The mother is considering putting the child up for adoption or worse yet abortion because she "still has things to do before she becomes a parent." They are in their 20's. How can he establish rights as a father to an unborn child in the state of California to keep either thing from happening? He wants the child, and he wants to be with the mother. What can be done on his end? Shouldn't he have a say?
If the woman wants to have an abortion there is nothing your son can do about it. It is HER choice. If, however, she chooses to carry to term she can NOT place the child for adoption without the fathers consent.

Unless your son is married to the mother he would have to be legally adjudicated the father before he can assert his rights...and that can't happen until the child is born.

I would also suggest that you stay out of this situation...your son is old enough to impregnate a woman and he is old enough to deal with the consequences himself.

karieclark

I would suggest you learn how to be empathetic. I am only asking questions so that my son can be informed as to what his rights as a father would be. Also, I am not inserting myself into this situation, I was asked. The child also happens to be my blood, too.

CourtClerk

Regardless of whether or not this "child" is your blood, you are simply too far removed to do anything about it, which is the problem with taking questions from third parties. With all of the information in the world, except for regurgitate it to someone else, what the heck are you going to do with it. Therefore, if your son is concerned about what his rights are, then I suggest you give him the link to this website, have him register and ask his own questions.

As far as empathy is concerned. We can be as empathetic as the sky is blue. Unfortunately, the law isn't empathetic. If you want empathy, join a support group. This forum isn't for empathy, it's for answers to legal questions. Period.

At this point, your son has no child. If your son is interested in finding out what he can do, I'd be glad to answer his questions.... when he asks them.

karieclark

Is everyone here always this rude? What a shame. It's kind of like a Dr with a terrible bedside manner. You people aren't lawyers are you? If so, I totally understand the rudeness, it is expected. Otherwise it is just a bunch of snotty people who think they know a little something about something.

cyjeff

I am sorry.

We are, as a group, blunt people because the law is blunt. We have all made the mistake of making a heartfelt statement that was taken as legal advise.

Regardless, you were given the legal answer. Right now, there is no baby. The mother can get an abortion if she wishes one without your son's permission.

When the child is born, your son may file for paternity. If he is proven legally to be the father, he can then assert himself in the decisions relating to the child.

CourtClerk

When the child is born, your son may file for paternity. If he is proven legally to be the father, he can then assert himself in the decisions relating to the child.
Actually, there may be an option for sonny boy right now, however, I will take my rude, snotty advice and save it for someone who can actually do something about it.

In fact, I have answered this question before (several times). But again, I'm snotty - and here is some advice that the OP can take:

Don't take advice from snotty people. Since I want to help you take my advice, I will withhold mine.

cyjeff

Actually, there may be an option for sonny boy right now, however, I will take my rude, snotty advice and save it for someone who can actually do something about it.

In fact, I have answered this question before (several times). But again, I'm snotty - and here is some advice that the OP can take:

Don't take advice from snotty people. Since I want to help you take my advice, I will withhold mine.
I wasn't aware that California had a putative father registry.

CourtClerk

I wasn't aware that California had a putative father registry.
CA does not. However, there are things that can be done. It cannot avert an abortion, should mom make that choice, but there are things that can be done now for other circumstances. I refuse to, in this thread, go into specifics, because I'm snotty and rude. Perhaps the OP would like to utilize the search function and search through my 5000+ posts for the answer.:rolleyes:

It's a beautiful day in CA today. I'm going to take my kid and go to the park for an hour.

karieclark

CourtClerk, Thank you for keeping your rude, snotty comments to yourself. I actually would appreciate it if you would not respond to any of my threads anyway. Thanks, but no thanks for your "advice."
Any one else have any constructive advice for a "third party" with "regurgitated information?"

Just Blue

I would suggest you learn how to be empathetic. I am only asking questions so that my son can be informed as to what his rights as a father would be. Also, I am not inserting myself into this situation, I was asked. The child also happens to be my blood, too.
How do you know that the child is "your blood"? Were you there at conception??? LEGALLY you are nothing in this situation. Nothing. And if you have raised your son to be an ACTUAL man...Well he would be seeking legal advice on his own and not having mommy doing it for him.

BTW...I do empathise with the actual father in this situation...but when you CHOOSE to have a child outside of marriage it leaves you with very limited options.

Just Blue

CourtClerk, Thank you for keeping your rude, snotty comments to yourself. I actually would appreciate it if you would not respond to any of my threads anyway. Thanks, but no thanks for your "advice."
Any one else have any constructive advice for a "third party" with "regurgitated information?"[/QUOTE]

No. Because it would be worthless advice. We are not permitted to give bad and legally invalid advice on this site. Have your son join this forum and we will be glad to advise him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">