• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of previous order, new order issued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masopa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

There was an order entered in our case in May 2007 requiring my son's mother to reimburse me 36% of uninsured medical costs. I submitted receipts to her in June of 2008, for services my son received the 3 months prior. Payment was due within 30 days, which fell on July 11. She did not pay, naturally.

We had court on July 15th for a different matter and I was awarded sole custody and placement and a new order was written up. Nothing concerning medical costs is in the new order.

Can I take her to court for contempt for not paying me those medical costs that she should have from the last order? Had a new order not been written on the 15th I would have, but am now unclear as to whether or not I can.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes you can HOWEVER you should not be holding bills for three months. Have you also proven to her thatyou have paid your portion of the bills?

masopa

I have proven to her that I paid the bills. We were supposed to submit receipts to each other every 90 days - that's why I waited so long.

OhReally?

I have proven to her that I paid the bills. We were supposed to submit receipts to each other every 90 days - that's why I waited so long.
I might add that the medical stipulation should still stand.

Now as far as the 90-day thing, perhaps you shouldn't hold onto them for that long. I would venture to guess the order has that language as a "deadline", since there are parents (too many) who hold onto these bills for a long time, then submit them to the other parents, expecting paydirt, per se. I would suggest sending the other parent copies of the bills showing what insurance has covered, what you've paid and what she owes EVERY 30 days/at the end of each month. I am sure it would make it a little easier for her to pay in a timely manner. After all, how would you react if you received a bunch of bills from the last 3 months and it was a substantial amount that was owed??
Just a suggestion.

masopa

I understand your point about the 3 months, and I'll take that into consideration if future orders have clauses of repayment of medical fees.

The one time I did submit a bill to my son's mother right away she told me, in rather unfriendly terms, that she wouldn't even think of paying it because I was supposed to give them to her all at once, quarterly. Not that she has ever paid on these things anyway. :rolleyes:

I just can't win.:p

Thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">