• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction of Schools (NEED HELP QUICK)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lordamarth

I live in Paso Robles CA and I need legal advice...

My son/daughter is facing possible suspension or computer probation because they logged in to a school website as one of their friends to check said friend's old grades.

Here is the details:
This was done from a home computer not at school.
The official charge is "Assuming another person's identity over the network" which is a subviolation of the "Computer and Networked Information Resources Acceptable Use Agreement For Students" which is signed by parents and students so kids can use school computers.
Said Acceptable Use agreement was drafted and revised before the school website in question was created. The violation in question was intended to refer to the local school network which requires all students to type a user name and password to use any school computer.

divgradcurl

How do we prevent the suspension?
Have you talked with the principal? What did he say when you asked him?

Is the accusation a legit violation?
There is no way to tell from your post -- you would need to see the exact language in your agreement, plus know the actual facts concerning what happened -- and not just your son's version, but the real facts. Or daughter.

Main point, however, is this isn't yet really a legal issue -- this is an administrative issue, and you need to be dealing with the school district's own system. If talking to the principal doesn't help, does your district have an ombudsmperson? That would be the next logical step.

In any event, the first step is to talk to the principal, figure out what -- if anything -- is going to happen, what evidence they might have, what their interpretation of the rules are -- then figure out what the appeal process is if they decide to do something like suspend your child.

tranquility

I agree with divgradcurl, you don't want this to turn into a legal issue. I don't think you are correct from an administrative standpoint. But, if pushed, I bet we can come up with the elements of a computer CRIME or two which were committed on your facts by your daughter. Once everyone starts talking all legal like, the school may want to push the issue. Like all similar organizations, they don't like nails which stick up and challenge their smooth decision-making power. You don't want them to start looking for a hammer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Paso Robles CA and I need legal advice...

My son/daughter is facing possible suspension or computer probation because they logged in to a school website as one of their friends to check said friend's old grades.

Here is the details:
This was done from a home computer not at school.
The official charge is "Assuming another person's identity over the network" which is a subviolation of the "Computer and Networked Information Resources Acceptable Use Agreement For Students" which is signed by parents and students so kids can use school computers.
Said Acceptable Use agreement was drafted and revised before the school website in question was created. The violation in question was intended to refer to the local school network which requires all students to type a user name and password to use any school computer.
So, let me get this straight...
Your kid logged in to the school network under another person's identity and now you are questioning whether your kid assumed another person's identity on the school network?

I disagree with your version of the "intent" of the rule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">