• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

julietotman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My husband left me yesterday. I want to know if I am liable/responsible for any credit card payments on credit cards that are in his name. My name is not on the account, do I have to make the payments? If I don't will it mess up my credit and/or will they have legal rights to come after me because we are married?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My husband left me yesterday. I want to know if I am liable/responsible for any credit card payments on credit cards that are in his name. My name is not on the account, do I have to make the payments? If I don't will it mess up my credit and/or will they have legal rights to come after me because we are married?
No, you are not liable/responsible for his credit cards. However, some or all of the debt may be marital debt, and you may eventually be assigned some of that debt in the divorce.

However, the credit card companies will not hold you responsible. DO NOT use the cards if you have access to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">