• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Covering My Butt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LadyHawk

I live in Nevada and have a question. I'm wondering if it's legal to purchse a product, repackage it under a different name, and resell it.

Say, for example, I find a simple clay-based skin masque (powdered clay plus added fragrance), and I find out in applying it to my hemorroids, that the clay shrinks the swollen membranes. Is it legal to repackage the masque under a different name and sell it as a hemorroidal relief product?

If yes, can I then patent the product for this specific use?

divgradcurl

I live in Nevada and have a question. I'm wondering if it's legal to purchse a product, repackage it under a different name, and resell it.

Say, for example, I find a simple clay-based skin masque (powdered clay plus added fragrance), and I find out in applying it to my hemorroids, that the clay shrinks the swollen membranes. Is it legal to repackage the masque under a different name and sell it as a hemorroidal relief product?
This would generally be legal under intellectual property laws, but you would need to research the laws regarding pharamceuticals or nutritional supplements to determine what other testing or other requirements there may be for your product.

If yes, can I then patent the product for this specific use?
It is generally very, very difficult to obtain a patent for a new use of an existing product without any further improvements. Your best bet would be to sit down with a local patent agent or attorney who could review the actual facts of your situation, and advise you accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">