• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was under the impression when you have joint legal custody of a child you need to make the other parent aware of where your living, a contact phone number, and the basics like dr.'s appointments, childcare ect. I need a link or exact list of everything that joint legal custody entails... thank you! I have looked high and low...

proud_parent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was under the impression when you have joint legal custody of a child you need to make the other parent aware of where your living, a contact phone number, and the basics like dr.'s appointments, childcare ect. I need a link or exact list of everything that joint legal custody entails... thank you! I have looked high and low...
You won't find "Ye Official List of All Joint Legal Custody Doth Entail" because there is no such animal. Some of your rights and responsibilities under joint legal custody will be spelled out in your court orders (for example, language requiring both parties to keep one another informed of contact information), some of them are specified by state or federal code, and a great many of them are established through case law and the prevailing climate of your local courts.

Here is what California Family Code § 3003 has to say about joint legal custody:
Joint legal custody" means that both parents shall share the
right and the responsibility to make the decisions relating to the
health, education, and welfare of a child.
California Family Code Section 3003 - California Attorney Resources - California Laws

Not exactly the exhaustive list you were hoping for, eh?

Start by reading your orders to determine what else is required of you and the other party. If you have additional questions, search for threads from other CA posters or ask them here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">