• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

temp support contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dave859

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
i was ordered by the court to pay $500 per month temp support,
this order was back dated to the time i originally filed so i owe my soon to be x wife $3500.00,
i have been paying her at the rate of $500.00 per month and have recently recived a summons to court saying that i am in contempt of court concerning the temp maintenance,
and that i should have paid my wife a lump sum payment and not in instalments as i have been paying,
on the original court order it does not say that i had to pay the back dated support in a lump sum ,
i am not a rich man and do not have the funds to pay this supprt payment in a lump sum,
,if i am found in contempt what is likely to happen?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
i was ordered by the court to pay $500 per month temp support,
this order was back dated to the time i originally filed so i owe my soon to be x wife $3500.00,
i have been paying her at the rate of $500.00 per month and have recently recived a summons to court saying that i am in contempt of court concerning the temp maintenance,
and that i should have paid my wife a lump sum payment and not in instalments as i have been paying,
on the original court order it does not say that i had to pay the back dated support in a lump sum ,
i am not a rich man and do not have the funds to pay this supprt payment in a lump sum,
,if i am found in contempt what is likely to happen?
The most likely consequence, if you are found in contempt, is that you would have to pay her attorney fees for the contempt action, and you may get fined as well.

If you can afford to pay her installments, then it might be in your best interest to get a loan to pay her off, and then pay off the loan in installments. It might save you money in the long run.

Bali Hai

The most likely consequence, if you are found in contempt, is that you would have to pay her attorney fees for the contempt action, and you may get fined as well.

If you can afford to pay her installments, then it might be in your best interest to get a loan to pay her off, and then pay off the loan in installments. It might save you money in the long run.
If he is found in contempt because the jackass judge didn't say HOW he was to pay the back support would be another one of the typical divorce court's harassment of men!!

If he doesn't have the money and can't get the loan as you suggest, I guess he will owe the other attorney and be fined by the court to pay more money that he doesn't have!!

The final result will be to throw his ass in jail where he still can't get the extortion money to pay!!

Gracie3787

If he is found in contempt because the jackass judge didn't say HOW he was to pay the back support...
Bali, I know you vent alot (for good reason) but this time you hit the nail on the head. If the Judge did not include any type of payments for the retro in the order, the OP *shouldn't* be found in contempt.

LdiJ

Bali, I know you vent alot (for good reason) but this time you hit the nail on the head. If the Judge did not include any type of payments for the retro in the order, the OP *shouldn't* be found in contempt.
He may not be found in contempt. You will note that I said "if he is found in contempt".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">