• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can anyone give me their knowledge on our problem?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

~pippy~

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
Our son is 20 yrs old and still lives at home. He is suppose to get visitation rights for his daughter every Saturday 5:00pm to Sunday 5:00pm. Every weekend the mother either doesn't meet him or won't give the baby to him or calls and cancels etc. Meanwhile my husband & I miss our grandaughter terribly. Do we have any rights? Is there anything we can do to see our granddaughter? She's 6 months old. It seems the mother can do whatever she wants & break the court agreement and not have any consquences for it. Needless to say we are hurt and very angry with the mother. We were always close with the mother until the child support & visitation were made legal. We, as 1st time grandparents feel helpless!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
Does anybody have any knowledge on this that they could share with us?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hot Topic

Your son needs to discuss the situation with his attorney and have him or her file the necessary papers so that your son can see his baby when he's supposed to.

I notice that you only mention how upset you are about not seeing the child. This is a little disturbing. When matters are straightened out with the court, you can see the baby when she's in your home with her dad. No, you can't demand to see the baby when she's with her mother.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually before he files contempt, your son needs to actually try to follow through on visitation and NOT take mom's word for it that the child is not available or she will not give him the child. Has he been showing up when he is supposed to to pick up the child? Has he been attempting to exercise his visitation or just taking mom's word?

Other than that, you would be better off helping your son enforce HIS rights than attempting to fight for your own.

BL

Every weekend the mother either doesn't meet him or won't give the baby to him or calls and cancels etc.
Where are they suppose to meet ?

Why ?

What is the distance between where they reside ?

mjs459

you are innocent in this matter

You as a grandparent sadly to say are at a lost and can only try to communicate better with the mom to see if she will make mends with you because you as a granparent are inoccent in this matter however what she is doing is illegal and your son needs to report it to the courts!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You as a grandparent sadly to say are at a lost and can only try to communicate better with the mom to see if she will make mends with you because you as a granparent are inoccent in this matter however what she is doing is illegal and your son needs to report it to the courts!
Oh really? And what are you basing that statement upon?

~pippy~

Reply back to all those who gave their thoughts and advice

First, I's like to thank those who replied to my thread. My son has a COURT ORDER to see his daughter every weekend Sat. 5pm to Sun. 5pm. They both agreed to this willingly and it was signed by a judge, therefore it should be upheld by both parents. My son has been showing up on time every week. He has bent over backwards to always do the right things and keep things peaceful with the mother. The mother is the one who keeps making things difficult. Everytime she breaks the COURT Agreement, he was told to go to the police department and file a complaint, which he has consistently done each time. Both parents live in neighboring towns so it's not a far distance for either of them. They meet in a neutral spot. He's not just taking the mothers word for it , It is a court agreement. My husband and I even went to the mother CALMLY and talked to her and asked her to put the baby first and not her emotions. She said okay and for 1 week ONLY everything went smoothly. The next week she went back to the same old thing. We are not thinking of our ego's and my son and us have been nothing but respectful and understanding in all matters. The mother is still a spoiled child and doesn't want to put her child first. The couple of times we did get the baby she was sent in inappropriate clothing and without essentials, which we didn't expect because we already had everything she needed. I only bring it up because as a mother wouldn't you want your child to have everything she needs no matter what? I know I would if I was in her shoes. We DO NOT hate the ex! We treated the mother like she was our own daughter, and still would if she would stop being so confrontational. Our granddaughter was already 2 months old when the mother decided to come to us to inform us she thought it was our son's. And the guy she was living with thought the baby was his. So we paid for a DNA test ,for the main reason, if the child was our son's , first he had to be responsible for her, and second we wanted to be part of her life. The mother had no problem coming over, leaving the baby with us for days, or anything for that matter. We thought how lucky we were for his ex-GIRLFRIEND to share our grandchild with us. When everything was made legal and she started getting the child support that's when she changed her tune.

BL

The mother is still a spoiled child and doesn't want to put her child first. The couple of times we did get the baby she was sent in inappropriate clothing and without essentials, which we didn't expect because we already had everything she needed. I only bring it up because as a mother wouldn't you want your child to have everything she needs no matter what?
Inappropriate to you maybe , but I doubt the law .

Having said that , if his rights are being violated and the mother is in contempt , HE needs to file a petition with the court .

Things don't magically happen because some one thinks the are mightier .

News flash !!! When your son has visits it's his responsibility to provide essentials .

Last edited by a moderator:

~pippy~

To: BL reply back

To: BL, You are very judgemental for not knowing the whole story. Do you comprehend what you read?
Misery loves company so go share it elsewhere!

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
To: BL, You are very judgemental for not knowing the whole story. Misery loves company so go share it elsewhere!
BL is completely correct. You got your advice. YOUR SON NEEDS TO FILE CONTEMPT as he has done everything he was supposed to.

Isis1

First, I's like to thank those who replied to my thread. My son has a COURT ORDER to see his daughter every weekend Sat. 5pm to Sun. 5pm. They both agreed to this willingly and it was signed by a judge, therefore it should be upheld by both parents. My son has been showing up on time every week. He has bent over backwards to always do the right things and keep things peaceful with the mother. The mother is the one who keeps making things difficult. Everytime she breaks the COURT Agreement, he was told to go to the police department and file a complaint, which he has consistently done each time. Both parents live in neighboring towns so it's not a far distance for either of them. They meet in a neutral spot. He's not just taking the mothers word for it , It is a court agreement. My husband and I even went to the mother CALMLY and talked to her and asked her to put the baby first and not her emotions. She said okay and for 1 week ONLY everything went smoothly. The next week she went back to the same old thing. We are not thinking of our ego's and my son and us have been nothing but respectful and understanding in all matters. The mother is still a spoiled child and doesn't want to put her child first. The couple of times we did get the baby she was sent in inappropriate clothing and without essentials, which we didn't expect because we already had everything she needed. I only bring it up because as a mother wouldn't you want your child to have everything she needs no matter what? I know I would if I was in her shoes. We DO NOT hate the ex! We treated the mother like she was our own daughter, and still would if she would stop being so confrontational. Our granddaughter was already 2 months old when the mother decided to come to us to inform us she thought it was our son's. And the guy she was living with thought the baby was his. So we paid for a DNA test ,for the main reason, if the child was our son's , first he had to be responsible for her, and second we wanted to be part of her life. The mother had no problem coming over, leaving the baby with us for days, or anything for that matter. We thought how lucky we were for his ex-GIRLFRIEND to share our grandchild with us. When everything was made legal and she started getting the child support that's when she changed her tune.
your son should have paid for it and been responsible. you are enabling. your son needs to get off his butt without being steered by his parents. you can be in the child's life as much as dad wants you to be on his time

if my two older children's grandmother showed up at my door, i'd be confrontational too. she's a legal stranger, she has no business in MY legal matters. showing
up at ones house without an invitation is being confrontational. let your son handle it, or not handle it. you sticking your nose in it is only going to make matters worse. no matter how kindhearted you are trying to be. and i say that with true sincerity.

BL

To: BL, You are very judgemental for not knowing the whole story. Do you comprehend what you read?
Misery loves company so go share it elsewhere!
This is a legal advice forum .

You added your two cents where it doesn't belong .

I comprehend very well .

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">