• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Rights As An Unwed Mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilmonkeyz06

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon.

My ex-boyfriend and I are having a son together. He wants joint custody of his son. However, he has a child with another woman and does not see his other child. He does not want custody of her. Is it presumed that I have custody of our son since I am not putting the father's name on the birth certificate?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon.

My ex-boyfriend and I are having a son together. He wants joint custody of his son. However, he has a child with another woman and does not see his other child. He does not want custody of her. Is it presumed that I have custody of our son since I am not putting the father's name on the birth certificate?
You will start off having sole custody by default. However, he can file to establish paternity/custody/parenting time/child support after the baby is born. Its almost guaranteed that he would get some form of joint custody (at a minimum joint legal custody which is joint decision making) and a parenting time schedule. It is far less likely that he would get a 50/50 parenting schedule.

CJane

"However" this is irrelevant. :rolleyes:
It's really only potentially irrelevant. If he currently has joint-custody and/or a visitation plan that he chooses not to utilize, then it IS relevant insofar as it can be used to show that he has no 'real' interest in the well-being of the child.

lilmonkeyz06

He does not want anything to do with his first child. I wasn't sure if that could be used against him in court if we did go to court. As soon as my son is born I plan on filing for sole custody of him.

Just Blue

He does not want anything to do with his first child. I wasn't sure if that could be used against him in court if we did go to court. As soon as my son is born I plan on filing for sole custody of him.
Did his disinterest in his daughter play a part in your decision in having a child with him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">