• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion to Terminate guardianship?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kstephens

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
I'm a law student, and a friend of mine is trying to regain custody of her 1 year old son. Its actually a sad story, as her house in Oklahoma burned down and when she moved back to Arkansas she had no place to live. Her boyfriend (the baby's father) was thrown in jail for warrants immediately upon their return to Arkansas, and his parents convinced her to sign over guardianship of the small child supposedly until she found a place to live and acquired a new job. She is very poor, and thus does not have the money to retain an attorney. However, I would like to help her. I know I'm unable to practice law on my own at this point, but I was wondering what motions need to be filed so that she may regain custody of her son? She has lived in the same place for around 9 months now and has retained a job, even receiving a promotion for the same amount of time. Also, the grandparents are now getting a divorce. Is a motion to terminate guardianship the only thing that needs to be filed, and if so, how do I find an attorney to file the motion for me? thanks,

Kendra

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
I'm a law student, and a friend of mine is trying to regain custody of her 1 year old son. Its actually a sad story, as her house in Oklahoma burned down and when she moved back to Arkansas she had no place to live. Her boyfriend (the baby's father) was thrown in jail for warrants immediately upon their return to Arkansas, and his parents convinced her to sign over guardianship of the small child supposedly until she found a place to live and acquired a new job. She is very poor, and thus does not have the money to retain an attorney. However, I would like to help her. I know I'm unable to practice law on my own at this point, but I was wondering what motions need to be filed so that she may regain custody of her son? She has lived in the same place for around 9 months now and has retained a job, even receiving a promotion for the same amount of time. Also, the grandparents are now getting a divorce. Is a motion to terminate guardianship the only thing that needs to be filed, and if so, how do I find an attorney to file the motion for me? thanks,

Kendra
Doesn't your school offer any law clinics or other pro bono services? One of your professors might be a good source of information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">