• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

staceel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ND
We settled with a mediator almost 1 year ago. In the settlement it stated that my ex owed me 20,000 payable within one year. I waived alimony and recieve child support. My ex has been behind and I am pretty sure with the way he has been spending money that there is no way he is going to be able to come up with the settlement amount. What can i do if he doesnt pay and will i get the money in a short time period.
thanks in advance

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
We settled with a mediator almost 1 year ago. In the settlement it stated that my ex owed me 20,000 payable within one year. I waived alimony and recieve child support. My ex has been behind and I am pretty sure with the way he has been spending money that there is no way he is going to be able to come up with the settlement amount. What can i do if he doesnt pay and will i get the money in a short time period.
thanks in advance
There is no guarantee as to when you get the money. Was the agreement made a COURT ORDER? If so then you can file a motion to show cause and the court may find him in contempt. But that doesn't mean you will be guaranteed payment of that money immediately. If he doesn't have it, he doesn't have it.

staceel

it was in the divorce agreement that went before the judge and was signed so i assume it was a court ordered settlement. I waived alimony. My ex makes 20,000 a month before taxes but he spends it before he makes it. The 20,000 is all i asked for to pay for set up new house which the mediator suggested. I put it on my credit card and he indicated he would pay it right away. I was niave and we agreed to split marital assets in the mediation. He kept everything of value. I ended up nothing. I just want to get the credit card payed off which the settlement would more than do.

mistoffolees

thanks in advance
There's nothing you can do until he's violated the decree.

Once he violates the decree, then you can go to court to have him found in contempt (although it might be prudent to give him a warning first). Don't expect it to be resolved quickly, though. Typically, when someone gets dragged in for contempt, the judge gives them a warning and some time to rectify the situation. Only then will the judge get serious about enforcing it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">