• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent adoption is complete, yet child support continues to mount.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

I allowed my ex girlfriend's husband to adopt my son. The petition was granted as they went to court some 3 weeks ago, but I just noticed that an additional month's bill has been added on. I thought that it was a universal principal that the support would automatically stop? Is there something else I have to do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

I allowed my ex girlfriend's husband to adopt my son. The petition was granted as they went to court some 3 weeks ago, but I just noticed that an additional month's bill has been added on. I thought that it was a universal principal that the support would automatically stop? Is there something else I have to do?
Petition the court to stop your child support payments.
There is nothing "universal" that will make it automatically happen - you have to be proactive.

ETA: Congrats on dodging that support obligation :rolleyes:

emak

*********** I have a physical disability, we all agreed it was for the best. OK, now that I've got that out of my system, how would one go about petitioning the court? Don't tell me I have to get lawyer involved? If I can prove with a doctors' note that I've been disabled for the last 6 months, I wonder if I could have my back support removed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
******I have a physical disability, we all agreed it was for the best. OK, now that I've got that out of my system, how would one go about petitioning the court? Don't tell me I have to get lawyer involved? If I can prove with a doctors' note that I've been disabled for the last 6 months, I wonder if I could have my back support removed?
A lawyer would get paid to deal with you. Go for it.

swrdmbo

I think the general consensus is people think you are ungrateful/ First...you sign over any interest in your son...then complain about paying another month's support.

NOW you want to see about getting back the last 6 months worth because you are "disabled".
You can't just be THRILLED that you are now no longer on the hook????

Go figure... most of us don't like your take on this whole thing.

emak

**** I have multiple sclerosis FYI. I've had 2 spinal taps in the last month. Forget I even asked. I will not be berated and trampled on by "mob mentality" just because you have it in your mind that I'm a slacker who just wants out of his obligations. What's wrong, can't handle someone who matches wit?

Silverplum

***, I have multiple sclerosis FYI. Forget I even asked. I will not be berated and trampled on by "mob mentality" just because you have it in your mind that I'm a slacker who just wants out of his obligations.
Okay.

But not till after I quote you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">