• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need a Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nessa02

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Hi. I was served with divorce papers yesterday and I am looking for some advice or help. I really need a lawyer, but can not afford one. I have 2 kids and i work but do not make a lot of money. My soon to be X does not pay child support and refuses to do so, which i will fight in court. Does anyone know of a good cheap lawyer or a free lawyer for domestic violence victimes who had to flee? As i said earlier I do work and do not quailfy for most free services as i am not consider under the poverty limit. (Says Who???)!! Any help would be grateful. Thank you

Just Blue

Hi. I was served with divorce papers yesterday and I am looking for some advice or help. I really need a lawyer, but can not afford one. I have 2 kids and i work but do not make a lot of money. My soon to be X does not pay child support and refuses to do so, which i will fight in court. Does anyone know of a good cheap lawyer or a free lawyer for domestic violence victimes who had to flee? As i said earlier I do work and do not quailfy for most free services as i am not consider under the poverty limit. (Says Who???)!! Any help would be grateful. Thank you
Did you "flee" out of state??
Edit to ask: Are both of these children his? If not are you collecting child support from the other child's father?

mistoffolees

Make an appointment to see an attorney. Many attorneys will petition the court to be paid from marital assets. Or they may be willing to work out a payment plan.

You need to file for temporary support and custody immediately.

Nessa02

Yes i fled Virginia and moved to Wisconsin. I have been here almost a year. Only my youngest son is his, my oldest sons father passed away in 2000, which i receive no money for.

Do i need to file for temporay custody even if he is denying the child and wants a paternity test done?

Thanks for the help

LdiJ

Yes i fled Virginia and moved to Wisconsin. I have been here almost a year. Only my youngest son is his, my oldest sons father passed away in 2000, which i receive no money for.

Do i need to file for temporay custody even if he is denying the child and wants a paternity test done?

Thanks for the help
Did he file for divorce in VA? If so, VA does not have jurisdiction of child custody matters because the child has been a legal resident of WI for more than one year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">