• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Having a Girlfriend?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soul69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My Boyfriend is getting ready to file for divorce. He seems to think by him having a girlfriend or being engaged will hurt him? Will it ?

humanteam

My Boyfriend is getting ready to file for divorce. He seems to think by him having a girlfriend or being engaged will hurt him? Will it ?
Yes. Unless your boyfriend is O.J. and he is going to get rid of his wife like he did the last one, your relationship is presently jeopardized and so is your future.

swrdmbo

Are you engaged??He hasn't even filed for divorce and he has a girlfriend (or fiance)????:confused::confused::confused:

What does his wife think about all this?? Because HE IS MARRIED!! ( to someone else..duh)

mistoffolees

Yes. Specifically, see:

DivorceNet - No Fault Divorce: Does adultery matter in Florida divorce?

If you are having sex, then he is committing adultery, it could affect child custody, division of assets, and alimony (if any of those are relevant in this situation).

Even if you're not having sex, but dating seriously enough to be talking about getting married, it might still affect those things (but it is less certain).

CourtClerk

Might I also add: You cannot have a fiancee when you already have a wife.

I'll leave out the fact that it is quite tacky and shows a bit of desperation on your part when you know your boyfriend has a wife and you're ok with it.

What year is it gonna be when women learn that the only way to get men to respect them is for women to respect themselves first? 2009 maybe? Probably not.

cyjeff

Of course, the funny part is that while boyfriend would happily cheat on his present wife for the OP, she believes that he would NEVER cheat on HER!!!

After all, he LOVES the OP... right?

CourtClerk

Of course, the funny part is that while boyfriend would happily cheat on his present wife for the OP, she believes that he would NEVER cheat on HER!!!

After all, he LOVES the OP... right?
To that, she'll answer....

Look, he's getting a divorce. We didn't mean to get into a relationship right now, but it just happened. What am I supposed to do now? I love him. He's not really married, he's separated. To which I would say... if he's not divorced or widowed, he's married. Then I'd roll my eyes until they locked in the back of my head.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
To that, she'll answer....

Look, he's getting a divorce. We didn't mean to get into a relationship right now, but it just happened. What am I supposed to do now? I love him. He's not really married, he's separated. To which I would say... if he's not divorced or widowed, he's married. Then I'd roll my eyes until they locked in the back of my head.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
How DOES the inside of the back of your skull look? :eek:

Bali Hai

Your b/f already has the cards stacked against him especially in the state of Florida for just being a divorcing man.

When the judge gets ahold of this information, (proved or not) it will make them feel "justified" for the screwing they were going to give your friend in court anyway!!

mistoffolees

Your b/f already has the cards stacked against him especially in the state of Florida for just being a divorcing man.
Just in case any newbies are inclined to take Bali seriously, this is, of course, nonsense. The system does not inherently favor one gender over another.

Bali Hai

Just in case any newbies are inclined to take Bali seriously, this is, of course, nonsense. The system does not inherently favor one gender over another.
Newbies should also take into consideration that the "system" designed by human beings and is not infallible and does have major flaws.

"Mistiferanne" is correct, the system was designed to be gender neutral, but made the mistake by giving JUDGES "discretionary power" to choose NOT be gender neutral!!

mistoffolees

Newbies should also take into consideration that the "system" designed by human beings and is not infallible and does have major flaws.
No one ever denied that the system is imperfect. Whether the flaws are 'major' is your personal opinion - and not supported by fact.

"Mistiferanne" is correct, the system was designed to be gender neutral, but made the mistake by giving JUDGES "discretionary power" to choose NOT be gender neutral!!
More personal opinion. I'm still waiting for evidence (and name-calling isn't evidence, btw).

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

WRONG Bali. Jeez. As much as I find you interesting and entertaining and have offered to buy you in a drink, you are wrong. We really need to get together and have a legal pow wow so you can understand that though you feel screwed over that doesn't mean you were discriminated against because you are a man.

Maybe married guy is telling his little girlfriend that it will hurt him in court because he just wants to have a bit of fun with her, not make her "girlfriend" or "fiancee"? That was my first thought, lol. Sounds like a good excuse for not committing to new girl. Which is nice, he is unwilling to commit to the new girl while married :D

Bali Hai

WRONG Bali. Jeez. As much as I find you interesting and entertaining and have offered to buy you in a drink, you are wrong. We really need to get together and have a legal pow wow so you can understand that though you feel screwed over that doesn't mean you were discriminated against because you are a man.
Ok, OG, I respect you because you know that the alimony laws are absurd. You have implied this in the past.

When we have that drink, will you tell me just why I was discriminated against if it wasn't for being a man??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">