• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speculation collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cosine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? any state in the US ... This is a generic question not about a specific case.

I've had a case like this myself (it was dismissed), and have seen a few reports of cases that may possibly be like this (a couple even on this forum).

What I suspect may be happening is something I'd like to ask about the general legality on, primarily with regard to federal law that may apply, but where appropriate, any state law the commenter knows about.

I label this practice "speculation collection". Maybe you have a better name for it.

A junk debt buyer (JDB) would normally pay some number of cents on the dollar for a portfolio of debts. Cash is tight and so maybe recovery rates are falling. What may be going on in the JDB business is "tasting" debts without committing to them. Instead of paying perhaps 10 cents on the dollar for a bunch of debts, maybe they pay 1/10 cent per dollar for a short term option on the debt. The option allows them to then buy the debts (maybe individually) at any time up to a later date specified in the option contract.

The JDB gets the data file and proceeds to see which debts are worth buying. But instead of just making some collections calls, they start right off filing a civil action in the hopes of getting a default judgment. If they can get the judgment, maybe they go ahead and buy the debt.

If this deal is done in the form of a term options contract, is it legal for the JDB to proceed with civil action on it, even though they do not actually own the debt (yet) and possibly intend to dismiss every action that is challenged?

And what if there is no options contract in effect, but the JDB has the debt info and would intend to buy the debt if they get a judgment?

Or, what if the JDB is planning to sell the judgments back to the original creditor?

Creditors assign the right to collect debts (but not the ownership of the debts) in exchange for a percentage of any amount collected. The collection agency pays nothing to the original creditor unless something is recovered. This is a standard industry practice and completely legal.

cosine

Creditors assign the right to collect debts (but not the ownership of the debts) in exchange for a percentage of any amount collected. The collection agency pays nothing to the original creditor unless something is recovered. This is a standard industry practice and completely legal.
So it's really just a CA doing this, and they get to sue right away without attempting "normal" collection, either before or after?

TigerD

All they have to do is validate the debt. If no dispute, they can sue at any time.
No they don't. They don't ever have to send the debtor a letter prior to a summons. But really, since a few phone calls work often enough ... don't you think they would?

Cosine is promoting fantasy. Buying a collections file is cheap compared to the cost of suing X number of debtors. Also, the debt buyer doesn't have the standing to sue until he owns the debt.

DC

cosine

No they don't. They don't ever have to send the debtor a letter prior to a summons. But really, since a few phone calls work often enough ... don't you think they would?

Cosine is promoting fantasy. Buying a collections file is cheap compared to the cost of suing X number of debtors. Also, the debt buyer doesn't have the standing to sue until he owns the debt.

DC
DC ... there is a definite pattern going around that is explained by one of two things: either the party suing is a not-yet-owner JDB, or a CA (is it legal for the CA to sue?) ... or creditors just being really stupid and not trying to collect their debts properly.

A decent debt collector would proceed to try to contact the debtor and collect the debt once they have the account AND have correct current contact info, would you not agree? But I personally know there are many cases where that doesn't happen. I cannot explain why they don't because I do not have insider info (the closest I am to any CA besides communications like this online is a friend of a friend is a retired skip tracing expert). And if you say that where you work, things are done properly I'll have to take your word for it. But clearly to me, that isn't happening everywhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">