• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non custodial parent moved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chad1973

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pennsylvania
my ex has moved 300 miles away .when we agreed on the terms of visitation she lived 2 miles away .im supposed to drop him off and she will bring him home. the visitation is every other weekend . now that she moved she expects me to drive the 300 miles to drop him off. what would be the proper way to handle this? should i file for modification of the current order? is it possible that the courts will make me drive this far every other weekend?

Humusluvr

my ex has moved 300 miles away .when we agreed on the terms of visitation she lived 2 miles away .im supposed to drop him off and she will bring him home. the visitation is every other weekend . now that she moved she expects me to drive the 300 miles to drop him off. what would be the proper way to handle this? should i file for modification of the current order? is it possible that the courts will make me drive this far every other weekend?
Why did she move?

When did she move? Did she tell you? Did she file with the court?

Isis1

since mom's the non custodial parent, she may not have to file with the court for permission. however, you should modify it with the court. file a long distance parenting plan and have mom be responsible for the transportation. cost and everything.

Humusluvr

since mom's the non custodial parent, she may not have to file with the court for permission. however, you should modify it with the court. file a long distance parenting plan and have mom be responsible for the transportation. cost and everything.
Where did you get that mom is NCP?

chad1973

i dont know for sure why maybe to find a better job but she got married and a week or two later she moved. she left at the end of aug. and hasnt seen her son since . she didnt tell me til the week she moved .
she hasnt filed for modification but says if i dont bring him to her this weekend i will be in contempt.

Isis1

i dont know for sure why maybe to find a better job but she got married and a week or two later she moved. she left at the end of aug. and hasnt seen her son since . she didnt tell me til the week she moved .
she hasnt filed for modification but says if i dont bring him to her this weekend i will be in contempt.
personally, i'd tell her to bite me. but i have an attitude problem.

what does your court order say specifically about transportation in your court order? does it mention place of drop off?

Last edited:

Humusluvr

She's blowing smoke.

chad1973

it says the party relinquishing custody shall be responsible for the transportation and transfers shall be at the respective residences of the parties.

does it matter that this was agreed upon before she moved?

Humusluvr

it says the party relinquishing custody shall be responsible for the transportation and transfers shall be at the respective residences of the parties.

Did she notify you and the court of her relocation?

When she did move, didn't you have a discussion about changing the orders to a long distance plan?

Isis1

tell mom you'll be at her old address. she can meet you there. if she doesn't show, she can't hold you for contempt.

if i remember OG correctly, contempt would be having to prove you maliciously kept the child away from mom. and mom made no attempt meet you at the prevously designated spot.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
tell mom you'll be at her old address. she can meet you there. if she doesn't show, she can't hold you for contempt.

if i remember OG correctly, contempt would be having to prove you maliciously kept the child away from mom. and mom made no attempt meet you at the prevously designated spot.
HOW exactly is the transportation portion worded? OP file today to modify the visitation plan stating that mom moved 300 miles away and therefore the current plan is unworkable.

wileybunch

Your court order was not based on a long distance situation.
You do need to file ASAP like you've been told to modify the transportation section of your CO.
You also need to change when the visitations occur. With NCP living 300 miles away, EOW is probably not feasible.
If some weekends are given up, NCP may need to be given more time during school breaks.

If NCP wants visitation in the meantime, the exchanges will need to be in the local area as the CO intended them to be. But, like OG said, we really need to see the exact language of your CO to know the intent of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">