• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unaccompanied minors question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Hello All,

I have a question about flying with a child who "could" be considered an unaccompanied minor. Let's say I get a parenting agreement that says "Child may fly to visit father as an unaccompanied minor."

COULD I fly with him? Dad gets the plane ticket for child, I go along - deposit kiddo with dad, and then go have myself a merry vacation? I think I know the answer to this, but do I have to send kiddo ALONE if he is an "unaccompanied minor?"

I know the situation is like 12 years out if it ever happens, but I was just wondering.

Thanks

CourtClerk

The agreement says "may" not "shall" or "must."

You can get on whatever plane going where ever you'd like, including the same state or same airport as Humus Jr. Shoot, it's cheaper that way too;)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Hello All,

I have a question about flying with a child who "could" be considered an unaccompanied minor. Let's say I get a parenting agreement that says "Child may fly to visit father as an unaccompanied minor."

COULD I fly with him? Dad gets the plane ticket for child, I go along - deposit kiddo with dad, and then go have myself a merry vacation? I think I know the answer to this, but do I have to send kiddo ALONE if he is an "unaccompanied minor?"

I know the situation is like 12 years out if it ever happens, but I was just wondering.

Thanks
Yes, you certainly can. However, if possible you should let dad know before he pays for the ticket that you are going to do that, since a ticket for an unaccompanied minor cost more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, you certainly can. However, if possible you should let dad know before he pays for the ticket that you are going to do that, since a ticket for an unaccompanied minor cost more.
No, it does not. It costs exactly the same. What DOES add an additional cost is the UM fee - which is normally paid at the airport upon check-in.

LdiJ

No, it does not. It costs exactly the same. What DOES add an additional cost is the UM fee - which is normally paid at the airport upon check-in.
Really? I did not know that. That means that an ncp who is responsible for transportation costs wouldn't have to pay for the UM? The person taking the child to the airport would get stuck paying for it?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's possible to pay it by phone - we've done that. So the parent not obliged to pay for any transportation could require it to be done ahead of time. But generally, you just do it when you check in. They need to take a load of info, so there's no way to do it online.

Also, if the situation is some 12 years out, as Humuslover states, it's likely to be moot anyway. A lot of airlines let 12yo's fly on their own w/o the UM status.

Humusluvr

It's possible to pay it by phone - we've done that. So the parent not obliged to pay for any transportation could require it to be done ahead of time. But generally, you just do it when you check in. They need to take a load of info, so there's no way to do it online.

Also, if the situation is some 12 years out, as Humuslover states, it's likely to be moot anyway. A lot of airlines let 12yo's fly on their own w/o the UM status.
I guess I wasn't thinking about it as CourtClerk put it, that really - I can go wherever I please, as long as the child shows up for the parenting time. I still have plenty of friends in Texas, and I can go for a visit while school is out, and let dad have his time.

Also, there is no direct flight from the airport by me to the airport by dad. And the airport by dad is 2 1/2 hours from his home. What if I put Humus Jr. on the plane, and dad never showed at the airport? Or broke down? Would the airlines put Humus Jr. in a hotel overnight and then send him back to me? Or keep him in the airport til dad shows? Or send him off with someone? I had a situation once where dad was supposed to pick me up from the airport, he flaked, and I had to take a bus to the Mexican border. Somewhat annoying for me, but for a 12 year old when no one speaks English?

I would rather take a vacation and make sure kiddo ends up with dad safe. And it would probably be way cheaper for everyone involved.

profmum

Quite true! That's why I asked. I don't want to be seen as having that agenda.
See if dad will agree to it when the child is younger, if not, it is not a battle worth picking, flew internationally from age 10 onwards as an unaccompanied minor.. had no probs!

Humusluvr

See if dad will agree to it when the child is younger, if not, it is not a battle worth picking, flew internationally from age 10 onwards as an unaccompanied minor.. had no probs!
Do you know what happens if the receiving parent doesn't show up to get the child? What do they do with them?

And I still know this is all a really really really long way away, if ever.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
For starters, as a UM, he will not be permitted to fly on the last flight of the day. Normally, if the p/u person doesn't show, they will put the kid on a return flight. It is very rare for them to leave it long enough to have to put the kid up in a hotel alone.

wileybunch

And Dad can also see your coming along as controlling as the child gets older.
These clauses don't require the child to fly alone so how the child gets to the receiving parents in this case isn't something that the receiving parent actually has "controlling power" over in the first place. Are there parents out there ridiculous enough to have an issue if a child flies accompanied? Those parents should think about getting over themselves and their own control issues, seriously. The child isn't a piece of property with a shipping method specified when they placed their order for them.

profmum

These clauses don't require the child to fly alone so how the child gets to the receiving parents in this case isn't something that the receiving parent actually has "controlling power" over in the first place. Are there parents out there ridiculous enough to have an issue if a child flies accompanied? Those parents should think about getting over themselves and their own control issues, seriously. The child isn't a piece of property with a shipping method specified when they placed their order for them.

oh yes...my ex... we were dealing with this issue, when the it seemed like he would be living in CA and would be the ncp. He claimed I was trying to "control" his parenting tome by flying with our DD from CO to CA. He ended up moving to CO so the issue was never agreed upon.

LdiJ

oh yes...my ex... we were dealing with this issue, when the it seemed like he would be living in CA and would be the ncp. He claimed I was trying to "control" his parenting tome by flying with our DD from CO to CA. He ended up moving to CO so the issue was never agreed upon.
However, just because your idiot ex would make that kind of inane statement doesn't mean that a judge would ever agree, or that it would ever be remotely a legal issue.

Seriously, no judge would ever have a problem with a parenting voluntarily, on their own dime, accompanying their child on a flight. In fact, a parent who objected to the other parent doing that, would likely be viewed as a looney tunes.

Its absolutely NOT a legal issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">