• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dog bite, dog confiscated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

my daughter is 10. we have a dog, hes a big dog but hes been with us from birth, he's got to be 6 or 7.

my daughter is always messing with him when he doesn't want to play, despite warning after warning she still was messing with him, in is face while he was growling at her to stop. (not vicious, just growl.)

anyway, the dog and my honey "bumped heads" and she ended up with 100 stitches .. like under her lip.

i don't think he bit her, just caught her with his bottom tooth while turning away from her.

my mother has told my daughter "the government" was probably going to take the dog away. my daughter is devastated, i think my mom is a b**** who doesn't know what she is talking about, and if the "government" was going to make a move we would have heard about it at the ER. now all my lil honey can talk about is how her dog is going to be stolen by the government.

who is right. ?? ( had i been there at the time, the dog would have KNOWN he did something wrong, but i wasn't now its too late to discipline the dog, and daughter deff learned a lesson.) I'm not going to let anyone take the dog, what are the chances i will have to?

just because i like to know stuff, under what circumstances could the dog be taken away (short of attack on visitor or stranger)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

my daughter is 10. we have a dog, hes a big dog but hes been with us from birth, he's got to be 6 or 7.

my daughter is always messing with him when he doesn't want to play, despite warning after warning she still was messing with him, in is face while he was growling at her to stop. (not vicious, just growl.)

anyway, the dog and my honey "bumped heads" and she ended up with 100 stitches .. like under her lip.

i don't think he bit her, just caught her with his bottom tooth while turning away from her.

my mother has told my daughter "the government" was probably going to take the dog away. my daughter is devastated, i think my mom is a b**** who doesn't know what she is talking about, and if the "government" was going to make a move we would have heard about it at the ER. now all my lil honey can talk about is how her dog is going to be stolen by the government.

who is right. ?? ( had i been there at the time, the dog would have KNOWN he did something wrong, but i wasn't now its too late to discipline the dog, and daughter deff learned a lesson.) I'm not going to let anyone take the dog, what are the chances i will have to?

just because i like to know stuff, under what circumstances could the dog be taken away (short of attack on visitor or stranger)
Good God! It's not the DOG that should be taken away!

thats what im saying. and have said. (unless your talking about me,)

ie_ (brianna- what are they going to do with bailey? me- the question is what are we going to do with you.)

it wont be the last time she doesnt listen to me with horrible consequences

Just Blue

Are you flippin' kidding?? The dog should NEVER have been kept after the FIRST growl. Get rid of the dog BEFORE social services takes away your child.

And BTW: "Bumping heads" does not cause ONE HUNDRED FLIPPING STITCHES!

Are you flippin' kidding?? The dog should NEVER have been kept after the FIRST growl. Get rid of the dog BEFORE social services takes away your child.

And BTW: "Bumping heads" does not cause ONE HUNDRED FLIPPING STITCHES!
ok, so social services would be the one to answer too.

well, dogs cant SAY leave me alone, i'm resting/don't feel good. she needs to recognise the risk, and act appropriately.

maybe he snapped at her, but by no means did he chase her down and maul her. she should and does know better

You Are Guilty

thats what im saying. and have said. (unless your talking about me,)

ie_ (brianna- what are they going to do with bailey? me- the question is what are we going to do with you.)

it wont be the last time she doesnt listen to me with horrible consequences
Uh, he was talking about you.

{edit}
Depending on where in the state you are, you can probably expect a home visit from CPS/ACS shortly. The hospital is a mandated reporter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
thats what im saying.
No, I think not.

If you are negligent enough to let your known-aggressive dog viciously attack your child (causing 100 stitches), then your child is the one who needs to be removed for her own safety!

Enjoy your dog! :rolleyes:

i understand the horror behind this story, but its not all the dogs fault, hes a dog. she is not a baby or toddler, she is a grown child who knew what she was doing. and she KNEW if she didnt respect him as the dog he is, there would be consequences. She knows how to read his signs .

So its every ones consensus the dog should have been gone from the door, and DSS would be the ones to look into the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of COURSE (s)he still has the dog - (s)he's "...not going to let anyone take the dog!" Who cares about the kid?!?
Thats just silly, had I been there the dog would have suffered serious consiquenses, but i was'nt and you cant punish a dog after the fact, they just dont know why your kicking his ass.

the dog can not be classified as vicious, he did not attack her. if anythng at all my daughter was being vicious and attacked him.

a low growl "leave me alone" is in no way even slightly vicious. stupid dog is a big baby, and grown as s kid should know better. dogs cant talk, but kids can understand.

Just Blue

i understand the horror behind this story, but its not all the dogs fault, hes a dog. she is not a baby or toddler, she is a grown child who knew what she was doing. and she KNEW if she didnt respect him as the dog he is, there would be consequences. She knows how to read his signs .

So its every ones consensus the dog should have been gone from the door, and DSS would be the ones to look into the matter.
Your child is TEN!! TEN!! TEN!!

OMG! You are too dangerous to be ALLOWED to have a child. Get neutered/spayed. Flipping moron!

Last edited by a moderator:
ten is a grown kid.

these dogs are not new to her, she has grown up with him and his mother. she is old enough to recognize, she'll be a teenager any minute, dont give me that crap. she has been told time and time again. she heard the stores, shes been to the classes. this is not the animals fault. its mine for not being there to stop her yet again from harassing him. and mine again for not being there to defend her at the time of the occurrence. but its too late now, i want to keep my family (dogs included) together.

sorry to have offended you guys. i am not going to blame an animal for something the human child knew all along. (not now anyway, i may have killed him and burried him in the backyard had i been there.)

ps, when she was little he used to hump her back and after i kicked his ass for catching him do that he never ever ever did that again. (she said he was playing piggy back )

Last edited:

nextwife

What is WRONG with you that you have allowed your child to continually antagonize a dog, to the point of biting?

I raised a toddler with a dog, and such abuse of the animal was never tolerated from day one. By age ten, a child SHOULD have known long ago how to treat their dog appropriately!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">