• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dog bite, dog confiscated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slwx

ummm -- a friend of mine actually left her husband partially because he had a pitbull that bit their small child (about 2) on the top of the head and he wouldn't get rid of the dog.

it happens all the time

in this case, it sounds like the parent, the child, and the dog require some training.

TinkerBelleLuvr

When my dog nipped a child and left ZERO scars, holes, etc., the dog was at the pound the next day. It would have been that day, but the pound was closed on Sundays.

My daughter still can't understand why I did it five years later. That dog was a liability. What was next?

Sorry, but children are way more important than dogs.

mommyof4

i understand the horror behind this story, but its not all the dogs fault, hes a dog. she is not a baby or toddler, she is a grown child who knew what she was doing. and she KNEW if she didnt respect him as the dog he is, there would be consequences. She knows how to read his signs and she chose to keep fu**ing with him.

So its every ones consensus the dog should have been gone from the door, and DSS would be the ones to look into the matter.

I'm not even reading the responses as I can pretty well guess what they are.

Let me tell you exactly what you should do. You take the dog and have the dog euthanized. My spaniel bit my oldest (who was 12 at the time) on the ear. I still think it shocked the dog as much as it did me. As much as I loved that dog and as hard as I cried (and still cry 5 months later anytime I come across a picture of him), I had turned the dog over to the SPCA within the hour. Any family pet that bites even one time is a dangerous animal and is not fit to remain the family pet. That's the responsibility you bear when you decide to take an animal into your family.

If you allow your dog to remain in your family, and thus a constant threat to your kids, you deserve to have the child removed. SHE deserves to know that she is not going to have to worry about being attacked and maimed for life or killed because you are too much of a dumbass to realize that YOUR FREAKING DOG IS A MENACE.

If you have a dog that will bite your child in any circumstances, you do NOT have control of that dog. The dog has control of you. Dogs are pack animals and if there is no other alpha animal, the dog will take on the role him or herself. Your dog is the alpha animal of your pack. You will NOT get control over him. Ever.

The dog goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
If you have a dog that will bite your child in any circumstances, you do NOT have control of that dog. The dog has control of you. Dogs are pack animals and if there is no other alpha animal, the dog will take on the role him or herself. Your dog is the alpha animal of your pack. You will NOT get control over him. Ever.
This. This times a thousand. Dogs are all about pecking order. It's a feral instinct, and anyone who thinks modern dogs haven't retained feral instinct has never seen a dog turn around several times before he lies down, or turn over and expose his belly in a play fight.

The dog has already tested his limits. The child has already harassed the dog in the past, and he responded by growling. He got away with that. Now, he's responded by biting. He got away with that. He is learning that he is superior to the child. To be honest, chances are he wouldn't fatally maul her, but if she ever annoys him again he has no reason to believe he shouldn't give her a severe bite.

Antigone*

There is no way that this one is not a troll....no one could be that stupid.

I guess you guys can tell that I am very far removed from the family court's system. I just can't stomach the fact the this dad is choosing his dog over his daughter. I JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Just Blue

There is no way that this one is not a troll....no one could be that stupid.
The OP has been posting here for a bit...Reading his/her other postings I don't think s/he is a troll. Just a blanking moron.

I wish I knew where OP is, so that I could report him/her to CPS.

LdiJ

I guess you guys can tell that I am very far removed from the family court's system. I just can't stomach the fact the this dad is choosing his dog over his daughter. I JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
That's what I mean be troll...there is no way that this thread is legit.

TinkerBelleLuvr

My dog KNEW that I was queen, empress, alpha etc. I had complete control over the dog when I was there. I could NOT be there 24/7, therefore, dog went.

OP - the dog has to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

txmom512

I've only read the first page so forgive me if any of this has been said -but this just SO bothered me!!

I agree 10 is a grown kid
"bumping heads" does NOT cause 100 stitches
I completely agree that if she was bothering the dog that bad, it is absolutely not the dog's fault and The Brat Deserved It!

I'll tell you what though, if you can't teach your child to respect the dog - everyone is right, that's incredibly crappy parenting - someone should be taking the kid away as well as the dog.

If the kid cannot respect the dog, GET RID OF THE DOG! That was a tragedy waiting to happen.

I have an almost 13 yr old and 4 dogs. We've been involved in rescue for years. She learned to respect her dogs by the time She Was THREE years old! She was taught from an early age about empathy and compassion. We've had strange dogs with questionable backgrounds, from puppies to old dogs. I have NEVER had a problem w/ my dogs, my foster dogs, or my child. EVER.

Good God!!

Proserpina

Hand child over to CPS.

Allow them to place her somewhere safe, where she'll be taken care of properly.

Have as many dogs as you want.

Problem solved.

Rushia

I agree with everyone else. We have had a dog for 5 years now. She's a goofy one, but good. I can absolutely assure you that if she EVER bit the children, she'd be gone, no matter how much they or we love her.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
thats what im saying. and have said. (unless your talking about me,)

ie_ (brianna- what are they going to do with bailey? me- the question is what are we going to do with you.)

it wont be the last time she doesnt listen to me with horrible consequences
If the dog doesn't go you should probably expect CSB to remove the child from the dangerous environment. You need to understand -- 100 stitches is about 100 too many for your child to have gotten. YOU are blaming your child. Sorry but you are wrong. The dog is to blame and YOU are to blame.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
not in her mouth. under her lip.

yes, no one will repremand the dog but me, and no not the dogs fault, but yes he hurt my baby, i would have totally killed him then my daughter can blame me. but that only would have worked that second.

no i couldnt wait till after the er, that was too late, the dog would have no idea why he was being punished, my daughter would have been calmed down making me look like a monster, too late even minuits after the incident.

she has learned a valuable lesson about me, and might take what i have to say more seriously in the future.

I am no idiot, i am a normal human who loves her daughter and dog. parents are not perfect, and kids dont always act right.

any investigation would uncover an accident. case closed.
YOu are aware that the dog is considered a dangerous animal and you must inform your home insurance company of harboring a dangerous animal. Do not be surprised if they cancel your entire home insurance policy> Also the police will take a record of your dog. Since the dog bit a person, the dog will be quarantined for several days to see if it is rabid. You can expect fines. You can expect that CSB will be coming out to check on the situation -- most likely with armed police officers for their protection. If the dog lunges, prepare for the dog to be shot on sight. Then prepare for your child to be removed from the home. Also prepare for you NOT to be licensed to practice law in the state of your choice due to the seriousness of this situation.

ETa: IF you have a mortgage on your house and your insurance is cancelled, the bank most likely has provisions to safeguard itself up to and including calling the entire mortgage due. Oh and if one insurance company cancels you due to a vicious dog others will probably follow. IF you do NOT inform the insurance company and they find out after the fact (say the next time the dog bites someone who sues you) watch for them NOT to cover the bite, drop you, and then try to have you prosecuted for fraud for not informing them of the actuality of the situation. Should I continue with the ramifications of this situation?

Last edited:

cyjeff

I am giving even money that the dog is a pit.

Pit Bull owners seem to have completely missed every single headline.

Yes, I know there are perfectly well adjusted pit bull terriers. I have met a couple.

However, a dog that has been bred to herd is no different than one that has been born to fight. You may be able to control the instinct but it will always be there.

I love dogs. I haven't had a house without one in several decades. I have also had a couple put down because they couldn't be trusted around children... my children. Broke my heart. I was there when they were put down because I owed it to them.

I have broken bones without a whimper... and I cried like a baby with a hand caught in a car door when I did it. Good dogs. Dogs I loved. Dogs that were so beloved by the children they bit that those same children HATED me for a month afterward.

Sometimes is sucks to be a responsible dad. But you do it anyway.

It isn't the dogs fault any more than it is a bird's fault that it flies. It is their nature. However, we have a responsibility to human animals first, last and always.

Even if.

Once a dog has bitten a child and achieved what the dog perceives to be a proper response to that action is a time bomb waiting to go off.

Every moment that animal is in your home puts your child's life in danger. 100 stitches are going to seem a bargain compared to the next attack.

And it isn't a matter of if... but only of when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">