• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Dog Killed another Dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarabelle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
Ok I got home yesterday and realized my dogs were out, no sooner that I put my purse down I heard screaming…. I run outside to see my dogs running away from the neighbor’s house I grab my keys and go get the dogs in the mean time the lady is flipping out yelling at me calling my all kinds of horrible names. We’ll it turns out that Khloe my Pitbull got a hold of the lady’s puppy and well I just found out they had to put the puppy down because of internal bleeding. The animal control officer showed up and wrote my 4 citations and gave me a court date…. The lady told me she was suing us and her husband came to my house and demanded my dog be destroyed… I agreed to let the animal control officer take Khloe and put her down. She is not a vicious dog….I just don’t understand. So now I am terrified that these people are going to take me for everything I have. I am defiantly guilty I don’t deny that… and I am willing to pay all the vet bills and will even offer to get them another puppy…. I am so scared that they will take it to civil court and I will lose everything I have worked so hard for. I don’t know what to do…. I am so scared. Any advice please?

Mass_Shyster

So now I am terrified that these people are going to take me for everything I have.
Call your homeonwers insurance and see if it covers you. Also, according to this case:

Carroll v. Rock

In Georgia "If a tort is committed through mistake, ignorance, or mere negligence, the damages are limited to the actual injury received, for vindictive or punitive damages are recoverable only when a defendant acts maliciously, wilfully, or with a wanton disregard of the rights of others."

So it sounds like you would only be liable for actual damages (those which you stated you agree to pay)

racer72

Dogs are considered property, just like any other possession the couple has. They likely will only be able to sue for the value of the dog and any vet bills. It still would not be a bad idea to consult with a local attorney.

She is not a vicious dog
Yes she is. You are lucky it was a dog that was injured, not a person.

ninalou

Hello,
I am a dog trainer... before you call your insurance company, get a copy of the policy and read the terms yourself. Because of all the issues with dog fighting (ie Mike Vick etc...) many insurance companies will not insure any residence with an aggressive type dog - especially if the dog was not listed as a part of the property on the application. I would hate for you to call them, then have them say the dog was a violation of the contract...

I agree they can sue you for the cost of the dog, vet bills, etc.. which you should pay willingly and if I were you, I would send a deposit as a good faith gesture.

In the future, should you get another dog and moreso IF you choose to get another Pitbull, get it obedience trained and learn how to properly manage it. I apologize if this sounds harsh, but ALL dogs can be capable of 'killing' something. I had a Pomeranian who was an awesome mouser - far better than my barn cat. This past weekend at a dog show, a Portugese Water Dog (just like the Obama's got) attacked a Bichon sitting underneath it's owner's chair. Training helps them to understand when it is appropriate and when it is not.

Dogs can be trained to wait at any door opening - and not run through without a command... it is very easy to do and imperative for their safety.
The other thing I would strongly suggest for any dog owner is after the dog is obedience trained, follow up with the Canine Good Citizen test. Most insurance companies will give discounts for any household whose dog holds this title.

I do agree you should consult an attorney because I am not sure if they can take you to civil court for pain & suffering... etc.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I had a Pomeranian who was an awesome mouser - far better than my barn cat.
How many pomeranian's have locked their mouth on somebodies head? :rolleyes:

Pit's ARE vicious dogs by nature. They are dangerous, REGARDLESS of the training.

I know plenty of people will disagree, and that's fine. Just keep your pit on a short leash and well away from my family and me!

ecmst12

Even when pit bulls are well socialized with humans, they are known to be vicious with other dogs. Did you find out how they got out? Was your homeowners insurance aware that you owned a pit bull? If not, they may not provide coverage.

Country Living

Even when pit bulls are well socialized with humans, they are known to be vicious with other dogs. Did you find out how they got out? Was your homeowners insurance aware that you owned a pit bull? If not, they may not provide coverage.
And they may not renew her policy.

ninalou

Pitbulls are NOT vicious by nature, they DO however typically have a strong working/prey drive. People use this 'drive' to make them vicious AND THAT is the real crime. I know many people who rehabilitate Pitts and they become quite passive.

My breed of dogs (in addition to Pomeranians) is Belgian Malinois. These dogs have an extremely high prey drive - even moreso than Pitts. It would be VERY easy for me to turn my dogs into vicious killers. However, I use my dogs drives proactively. They compete in agility, obedience, conformation and tracking. They are all valued members of my family. (And if anyone dared to break into my home... I would feel very bad because it would be ugly!) ;)

Ironically, my 3 intact male Malinois (who all live in the house with me) are the ones who get beaten up by my Pomeranians!
And a few years back there was a great article from the mid-west, where a Pomeranian 'stopped' an intruder in his tracks. The Pom apparently, jumped and bit the intruders genitals! The intruder dropped to the ground in obvious agony. In the meantime, the police arrived!!! :cool:

Please remember, no dog is born Vicious. Viciousness is an improper 'Person' taught behavior.

Country Living

The only fact we're dealing with in this thread is this lady's dog killed a puppy and there will be legal ramifications. That's all we're dealing with right now.

Pitbulls are one of the breeds that makes insurance companies nervous. If she has coverage under her homeowner's policy for the dog attack, she may not get renewed.

CJane

The only fact we're dealing with in this thread is this lady's dog killed a puppy and there will be legal ramifications. That's all we're dealing with right now.

Pitbulls are one of the breeds that makes insurance companies nervous. If she has coverage under her homeowner's policy for the dog attack, she may not get renewed.
I would like to say that it's POSSIBLE that 'willful negligence' might come in to play given the breed of dog and the clear lack of supervision - especially if there are any local or county codes that prohibit 'bully breeds' or pitbulls specifically.

Also, please... in the future... don't leave your dog - regardless of breed/history/etc - outside alone when you're not home. ANY dog can get out of a yard and be injured/stolen/etc. ANY dog may attack an animal that wanders in to what they perceive as their territory. ANY dog can be injured/poisoned/etc by passerby.

Just Blue

I would like to say that it's POSSIBLE that 'willful negligence' might come in to play given the breed of dog and the clear lack of supervision - especially if there are any local or county codes that prohibit 'bully breeds' or pitbulls specifically.

Also, please... in the future... don't leave your dog - regardless of breed/history/etc - outside alone when you're not home. ANY dog can get out of a yard and be injured/stolen/etc. ANY dog may attack an animal that wanders in to what they perceive as their territory. ANY dog can be injured/poisoned/etc by passerby.
I have the impression the dogs got out of the HOME. So one has to wonder HOW 4 dogs got out of a house by themselves. Negligence will definitely plat a roll in this...But maybe not willful negligence.

Ok I got home yesterday and realized my dogs were out

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">