• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two wedding ceremonies in two countries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

omshanti

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Ours will be an interfaith/interracial marriage. We are planning to get married first overseas, and then also in the US so that both families can be a part of the celebrations.

How do people handle two wedding ceremonies, specially in two different countries? Are there any legal complications of having two ceremonies? The officiant of both the ceremonies (a Hindu priest and a Christian Minister) say that they will register and issue a marriage certificate. How can we get married twice? Has anybody done two ceremonies, specially in two countries? In case the Hindu ceremony is first, how/what do we tell the Christian minister to get us married but not register? Can they do that?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Once you're married, you're married. If you're legally married overseas, when you come back to the states you are married. The second event will be strictly ceremonial. Just explain to the minister that you want a second religious service for the other family's participation. It's like when couples renew their vows. There's no need for any kind of second legal registration.

LdiJ

Once you're married, you're married. If you're legally married overseas, when you come back to the states you are married. The second event will be strictly ceremonial. Just explain to the minister that you want a second religious service for the other family's participation. It's like when couples renew their vows. There's no need for any kind of second legal registration.
There is no particular harm in a second registration either. If it makes each of the officiates happy that they have performed the "legal" marriage before god and the law, then there is no harm in it. However the first marriage will be the truly "legal" marriage.

I know lots of people who have had two marriages. Its actually pretty common. I myself had two, but both were in the US...the first marriage was a quick, legal one in the minister's office because my fiance's visa was expiring (we planned badly) and the second one was the big church ceremony a week later.

Antigone*

There is no particular harm in a second registration either. If it makes each of the officiates happy that they have performed the "legal" marriage before god and the law, then there is no harm in it. However the first marriage will be the truly "legal" marriage.

I know lots of people who have had two marriages. Its actually pretty common. I myself had two, but both were in the US...the first marriage was a quick, legal one in the minister's office because my fiance's visa was expiring (we planned badly) and the second one was the big church ceremony a week later.
Sorry for the hijack

I'm having my second wedding this Sunday in church :):):):):)

Congrats OP on your marriage, may it be blessed.

...back to the discussion at hand.

LdiJ

I actually know one couple who had three ceremonies...a civil ceremony in Guatamala, and church ceremony in Guatamala and then another civil ceremony in the United States.

justalayman

but if you are going the full boat and want it "legalized", how do you answer questions on a marriage license app such as:

are you currently married

can you legally be married

It would seem such questions of this type would automatically toss out the possibility of having a government recognized marriage for any subsequent ceremonies.

LdiJ

but if you are going the full boat and want it "legalized", how do you answer questions on a marriage license app such as:

are you currently married

can you legally be married

It would seem such questions of this type would automatically toss out the possibility of having a government recognized marriage for any subsequent ceremonies.
While your point is well taken, governments don't seem to care when it comes to people getting married a second time (or even third time) to the same person. After all, its not bigamy.

justalayman

While your point is well taken, governments don't seem to care when it comes to people getting married a second time (or even third time) to the same person. After all, its not bigamy.
It may not be for you but you don't know my wife. I thought it most definitely "big of me" to marry her the second time.:D

A second "legal" marriage could cause legal confusion. I can see where insurance problems especially could be affected by multiple marriage dates.

Since a religious marriage has actually little to do with the legal aspects of a marriage, I would suggest picking one date for the legal marriage and simply leaving any subsequent marriage as ceremonious.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There is NO NEED for a second license. And they should NOT get a second license.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why? Its not against the law.
Refer to Justa's post -- they do ask those questions. If they answer them truthfully (which if they lie it is perjury which is a felony) they will NOT get a marriage license. They are already married. They are already husband and wife. They cannot get married again with a second license when they have been married before legally.

LdiJ

Refer to Justa's post -- they do ask those questions. If they answer them truthfully (which if they lie it is perjury which is a felony) they will NOT get a marriage license. They are already married. They are already husband and wife. They cannot get married again with a second license when they have been married before legally.
The answer to those questions is yes, we are legally married to each other in XXX country, but we would like to perform a legal marriage here as well. In my state, the license would be granted. I know this because I have friends who got married like that. Its not contrary to law in my state.

Perhaps it is in Ohio.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The answer to those questions is yes, we are legally married to each other in XXX country, but we would like to perform a legal marriage here as well. In my state, the license would be granted. I know this because I have friends who got married like that. Its not contrary to law in my state.

Perhaps it is in Ohio.
And what about VA? Because YOU are not in Virginia.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Virginia law

§ 20-16
Title 20 DOMESTIC RELATIONS.
Chapter 2 - Marriage Generally (20-13 thru 20-37.2)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
§ 20-16. Oath of parties before clerk and issuance of certificates thereof.
The clerk issuing any marriage license shall before issuing the license require the parties contemplating marriage to state, under oath, or by affidavit or affidavits filed with him, made by the parties for whom the application is made, before a person qualified to take acknowledgments or administer oaths, the information required to complete the marriage record. Such clerk shall make two certificates thereof and deliver them, together with the license, to the person entitled thereto. For the purposes of this section any statement made by such applicant, under oath, concerning the information to be entered on the record is hereby declared to be a material matter or thing in any prosecution for perjury for any violation of this section.
and
§ 20-37.1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
§ 20-37.1. Validation of certain marriages solemnized outside of Commonwealth.
All marriages heretofore solemnized outside this Commonwealth by a minister authorized to celebrate the rites of marriage in this Commonwealth, under a license issued in this Commonwealth, and showing on the application therefor the place out of this Commonwealth where said marriage is to be performed, shall be valid as if such marriage had been performed in this Commonwealth.
They can get married but they do NOT need a license as there marriage is already recognized.

Just Blue

§ 20-16

and

They can get married but they do NOT need a license as there marriage is already recognized.
Damn OG!! Stop posting the pesky case law/statutes!!! We don't want the legal truth intruding on this thread!!!!!!

:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">