• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishing of wages ~ two judgement debtors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My girlfriend is here with me and she has a judgement against two people for back rent. She wants to execute the money judgement and we are filling out the writ of execution. Since there are two debtors, should she put the full amount of the judgement on both writs or divide the amounts in half?

I'm appealing to my friends who know for sure. Thank you much, ana.:)

Alaska landlord

If jointly and severally responsible and if she doesn’t care when she gets her money, she may file for the entire amount on both. Who ever pays first gets a high five.
But by dividing the amount in half the debtors may find it easier to pay and less likely to quit their job in order not to pay.

Check your state laws. CA always does have strange laws.

Antigone*

If jointly and severally responsible and if she doesn’t care when she gets her money, she may file for the entire amount on both. Who ever pays first gets a high five.
But by dividing the amount in half the debtors may find it easier to pay and less likely to quit their job in order not to pay.

Check your state laws. CA always does have strange laws.
My thanks to you Alaska!

ecmst12

I think if she files for the entire amoutn on both tenants, she'd better pay attention to how much she's getting so she can stop the garnishment before she collects more then the judgement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">