• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jzhang1122

I got a speeding ticket driving in NY and I paid off that ticket. I have just received this additional letter from the NY RMV and the fee is 300$. If I dont pay it said it will suspend my NY license and I will be ineligible for a NY license. I have a Massachusetts License so I was wondering how to proceed about this.

(sections 1199 and 503(4) of vehicle and traffic law)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I got a speeding ticket driving in NY and I paid off that ticket. I have just received this additional letter from the NY RMV and the fee is 300$. If I dont pay it said it will suspend my NY license and I will be ineligible for a NY license. I have a Massachusetts License so I was wondering how to proceed about this.

(sections 1199 and 503(4) of vehicle and traffic law)
Suggest you pay the fee...your MA license is at risk in this situation also.

davew128

While paying the fee would initially seem prudent, wouldn't finding out what it is and why it was sent seem to be first priority?

I would think somebody was late paying their speeding ticket, and this is a late fee, or perhaps the RMV screwed up. Find out what it is before you write a check.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While paying the fee would initially seem prudent, wouldn't finding out what it is and why it was sent seem to be first priority?

I would think somebody was late paying their speeding ticket, and this is a late fee, or perhaps the RMV screwed up. Find out what it is before you write a check.
OP is already convinced it's a valid fee...just wants to know if he can ignore it.

You Are Guilty

It's a valid fee (as about 3 seconds on Google would show). Assessed by NY DMV when you accrue 6 or more points on your license within an 18 month period. And since a number of tickets are 6+ points on their own, fairly easy to trigger it with just one incident.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The OP's speeding ticket was at least 21 over the speed limit. Or else he has a conviction (with points) within 18 months of the speed.

The Driver Responsibility Assessment is $300 (in this case) payable all at once, or $100/year for three years.

Failure to pay will result in a NY driving privilege suspension, followed by NY notifying MA about the situation, resulting in a suspension of your MA drivers license.

Pay your fines. This cannot be appealed so you don't have much choice.

elmeng

I like to know why he should pay

I had the same thing happen to me and today I get this $300.00 assessment. Well, I was not informed by the arresting officer of any such assessment and the court did not mention said assessment when I plead thru the mail. If I knew there was an additional fee, I would have gone to court and argued. I was 21 miles over the speed limit, a 4 pointer in PA. The Officer made no offer to reduce it to 20 over to reduce my points.
I feel I had a valid argument as the manufacture states a one mph accuracy for the laser, whatever.
The point is I would have gone to court if I was told that this assessment existed. This is just a revenue maker for the State of New York and no appeal process, sounds un-american.

No due process.

FlyingRon

The cop is under no obligation to provide you legal advice (and in general it's a bad idea to accept legal advice from one anyhow) nor is he obliged to lower your charge for any reason.

Your "valid" arguments for laser accuracy wouldn't fly in court most likely anyhow.

You had due process, you decided to forgo it in order to dodge going to court. The court is under no obligation to inform you of all the repercussions of your guilty pleas.

elmeng

The cop is under no obligation to provide you legal advice (and in general it's a bad idea to accept legal advice from one anyhow) nor is he obliged to lower your charge for any reason.

Your "valid" arguments for laser accuracy wouldn't fly in court most likely anyhow.

You had due process, you decided to forgo it in order to dodge going to court. The court is under no obligation to inform you of all the repercussions of your guilty pleas.
You know I took a second look at the ticket the officer gave me and in very small print it mentions the Driver Responsibility Assessment. I did not have my reading glasses on when I read it. Seniors need not apply. Actually the Officer did give me legal advice, he told me to contact the DA's office and tell them this was my first ticket in 30 years.

You quip about my laser argument leads me to ask, the ticket had my car listed as black, it's blue and the officer based the charge on direct observation. Well when I saw him he was getting in his car with nothing in his hands, but there was an officer on the previous overpass where I entered the hwy that was lasering people. I submit it was his direct observation but his name was not on the ticket

I agree there's no recourse, but why is PA under an obligation to suspend my license when the violation under PA laws would only be 4 points and it's PA license subject to PA laws. That why I did not go to court because I thought I would only end up with 4 pts against my PA license.

PA has no such means of extorting out of state drivers, I suggest they start one and stick it to NYers.

I still don't understand why I can't appeal the original ticket?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

There is no appeal on a guilty plea. You felt you were guilty and that was that. Too late now.

Pennsylvania is under no obligation to suspend your license - but they will do it anyway.

elmeng

There is no appeal on a guilty plea. You felt you were guilty and that was that. Too late now.

Pennsylvania is under no obligation to suspend your license - but they will do it anyway.
So if this is a NY DMV Penalty and not a traffic violation, why would PA be involved at all?

HighwayMan

You know I took a second look at the ticket the officer gave me and in very small print it mentions the Driver Responsibility Assessment.
Well, whose fault is that? Shame on you for not scrutinizing that ticket prior to your plea.

You quip about my laser argument leads me to ask, the ticket had my car listed as black, it's blue
What does it say on the ticket? I'm sure it doesn't say "BLACK". If it says "BL" that is blue. Black is abbreviated "BK". Something like that is irrelevant anyway.

PA has no such means of extorting out of state drivers, I suggest they start one and stick it to NYers.
This does not target out of state drivers. It targets ALL drivers. The Driver Responsibility Assessment applies to anyone with 6 or more points on their NY driving record.

HighwayMan

So if this is a NY DMV Penalty and not a traffic violation, why would PA be involved at all?
YOU are the one that mentioned suspension.

If you don't pay the fee, NYS will suspend your privilege to drive here. The NYS DMV will then notify PA that you have an outstanding judgment against you and then PA will suspend your PA license until such time as you provide proof that you complied with New York's requirements.

elmeng

Thanks

I've enjoyed all this help.

Then again, I'm a Pirate's fan.

So now PA is a collection agency for NY, or at least their strong arm man.

Now I know the meaning the long arm of the law and blind justice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">