• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Roommate Owes Me Money But Won't Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srgrussing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I've lived with my roommate for about a year now, and he's moving out. He's owed me various amounts of money for his entire stay, but I've been pretty lenient on him since he is a good friend. He now owes about $800 and is debating that amount. I've kept a tab the entire time, but no receipts etc.

Advice on what I can do would be appreciated. All agreements were verbal, and I'd really like to keep things as smooth as possible to maintain our friendship.

Can I keep some of his things for collateral? Or sell them? Not really wanting to go to court for this.

Thanks!

Antigone*

I've lived with my roommate for about a year now, and he's moving out. He's owed me various amounts of money for his entire stay, but I've been pretty lenient on him since he is a good friend. He now owes about $800 and is debating that amount. I've kept a tab the entire time, but no receipts etc.

Advice on what I can do would be appreciated. All agreements were verbal, and I'd really like to keep things as smooth as possible to maintain our friendship.

Can I keep some of his things for collateral? Or sell them? Not really wanting to go to court for this.

Thanks!
You cannot keep anything " for collateral." You have no agreement that he would provide you with any property for collateral.

You have no signed contract stating that you loaned him anything. In order to keep things as smooth as possible, acknowledge that you will never see this money again and move on.

Next time don't loan what you cannot afford NOT to have back or at least get a signed promossory note.

Who's Liable?

Thanks!
You will need to sue him in court if you want any chance in seeing ANY of the amount owed you. As stated before, absent WRITTEN proof of a debt owed, it will be difficult to persuade a judge you are owed anything.

However if your roommate is disputing the amount owed, and you have WRITTEN proof of their dispute, you can use that as their admittance a debt is owed. It can be an email, text, fax, etc...

Next time, make them sign a promissory note, good friend or not. It's ALWAYS wise to get promissory notes for money loaned out.

applecruncher

You think keeping his things will maintain the "friendship"? Umm, no.

Let this be a lesson. Get in in WRITING. Better yet, don't loan a friend money. If you want to give a friend money as a gift, fine, but don't whine about it later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">