• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being forced to provide health coverage that my kid's can't use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

You don't usually have to be that poor for your CHILDREN to qualify for Medicaid/CHIP.
I disagree...you have to be low income to qualify for any of those programs, even the ones where you pay a partial premium. Now, admittedly if someone has several children, the income limitations reflect that, but so do the partial premiums that have to be paid.

I just did some brief research for MA and the family income must be less than 150% of federal poverty limits to qualify. That isn't much at all.

mistoffolees

I disagree...you have to be low income to qualify for any of those programs, even the ones where you pay a partial premium. Now, admittedly if someone has several children, the income limitations reflect that, but so do the partial premiums that have to be paid.

I just did some brief research for MA and the family income must be less than 150% of federal poverty limits to qualify. That isn't much at all.
150% of the federal poverty limit is not poor. By definition. :rolleyes:

xylene

150% of the federal poverty limit is not poor. By definition. :rolleyes:
"Poor" is subjective and relative to location and circumstance.

The federal 150& poverty line is absolute and does not reflect circumstantial reality.

The commerce dept. and the dept. of agriculture both acknowledge this....

Proserpina

The federal 150& poverty line is absolute and does not reflect circumstantial reality.

Have to agree.

mistoffolees

The federal poverty level does vary by states - so it already takes into account the location:
http://www.coverageforall.org/pdf/FHCE_FedPovertyLevel.pdf

In any event, according to the U.S. Census bureau, 25% of people are at or below the 1.5 times the poverty level limit. It's hard to argue that they're all 'poor' - especially since people can have a great deal of wealth and a relatively low income.

xylene

In any event, according to the U.S. Census bureau, 25% of people are at or below the 1.5 times the poverty level limit. It's hard to argue that they're all 'poor' - especially since people can have a great deal of wealth and a relatively low income.
Yup, they got toilets and refrigerators. :rolleyes:

mistoffolees

Yup, they got toilets and refrigerators. :rolleyes:
Go back and see the thread. ecmst said that you don't have to be that poor to qualify for Medicaid. According to the Census Bureau, some of the people qualifying for Medicaid are in the 24th percentile. Are you arguing that a quarter of all Americans are 'poor'?

Furthermore, that's an income standard. There are people with millions in assets who have little or no income. They can hardly be considered 'poor'.

ecmst's statement is correct. You don't have to be all that poor to qualify for Medicaid. Obviously, many of the people on Medicaid ARE very poor. And many poor people may not qualify. But the statement was accurate. Lots of people who are not poor qualify for Medicaid.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Go back and see the thread. ecmst said that you don't have to be that poor to qualify for Medicaid. According to the Census Bureau, some of the people qualifying for Medicaid are in the 24th percentile. Are you arguing that a quarter of all Americans are 'poor'?

Furthermore, that's an income standard. There are people with millions in assets who have little or no income. They can hardly be considered 'poor'.

ecmst's statement is correct. You don't have to be all that poor to qualify for Medicaid. Obviously, many of the people on Medicaid ARE very poor. And many poor people may not qualify. But the statement was accurate. Lots of people who are not poor qualify for Medicaid.
However, even though a Federal Program, Medicaid is administered by the states and the states retain the right to decide the income levels for Medicaid. :cool:

mistoffolees

However, even though a Federal Program, Medicaid is administered by the states and the states retain the right to decide the income levels for Medicaid. :cool:
That's true.

And in NC, Medicaid limits depend on the number of people in the household. OP refers to 'children', so we know the household size is at least 3 people. In NC, that means that people with income up to $3100 per month can qualify (depends on the age of the youngest child). That's $37 K per year - or about the 33rd percentile for income.

So unless 1/3 of Americans are 'poor', ecmst's statement was correct.

That's true.

And in NC, Medicaid limits depend on the number of people in the household. OP refers to 'children', so we know the household size is at least 3 people. In NC, that means that people with income up to $3100 per month can qualify (depends on the age of the youngest child). That's $37 K per year - or about the 33rd percentile for income.

So unless 1/3 of Americans are 'poor', ecmst's statement was correct.
I have 2 kids (ages 17 & 14), my ex is re married and they moved to NC to move in with her parents since they could not afford to live ont heir own up here. Household total = 6.

haiku

I also want to point out chip programs are also for working and self employed people who can't afford regular insurance. You pay anything from no premium to a pretty high premium, based on income. (Actually for children there is no limit in some states, you just get to pay full premium price if you make to much for the subsidy)

It's not always a case of being poor as much as the high cost to insure a family privately.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I have 2 kids (ages 17 & 14), my ex is re married and they moved to NC to move in with her parents since they could not afford to live ont heir own up here. Household total = 6.
Only mom and the kids would count as part of mom's household...because mom is obviously over age 22/24/26 (age variances due to state variables).

I still think that you should fight having to provide insurance for the children based on the fact that your insurance is useless to them in NC.

Contact Mass DOR with a copy of your court order as well as a copy of your insurance plan showing that it won't cover them in NC. See if they buy it.

However, there are two problems with your argument:
1. If the children are receiving state aid, then your court order isn't particularly relevant. The state could still require you to pay for their insurance (although I don't understand how they're receiving MA aid if they're in NC).

ETA: MA is enforcing an NC order. Now I understand.
2. Even if your plan doesn't provide full coverage outside of MA, it would still almost certainly provide emergency coverage in NC, so 'it is useless there' isn't a very good argument.

All court orders have originated in MA and here is where jurisdiction lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">