• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OT: Cautionary Tale About Relocating...What NOT to Do!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'mTheFather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? International Custody Case, Illinois and Ireland

In this case, the mother had been a long-time resident of Ireland with the father. She has dual citizenship. Six months after their child was born, she relocated to the US against the father's wishes. He filed in court for the child's return. Ultimately, after 4 years in court and orders to return the child to Ireland, the mother put the child on a plane to return. She cannot accompany him because she was found in contempt of court and expects to be jailed upon her return.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/jack-mary-redmond-international-custody-162021725.html
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/illinois/ilndce/1:2011cv08542/262962/34/

Interestingly, in one of the earlier orders, the mother was ordered to return to Ireland and live within a certain geographical area.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? International Custody Case, Illinois and Ireland

In this case, the mother had been a long-time resident of Ireland with the father. She has dual citizenship. Six months after their child was born, she relocated to the US against the father's wishes. He filed in court for the child's return. Ultimately, after 4 years in court and orders to return the child to Ireland, the mother put the child on a plane to return. She cannot accompany him because she was found in contempt of court and expects to be jailed upon her return.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/jack-mary-redmond-international-custody-162021725.html
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/illinois/ilndce/1:2011cv08542/262962/34/

Interestingly, in one of the earlier orders, the mother was ordered to return to Ireland and live within a certain geographical area.
I don't feel sorry for this woman at all. Too bad she won't be extradited so she could spend her time in jail. Due to her actions, she caused all of this.

nextwife

I don't feel sorry for this woman at all. Too bad she won't be extradited so she could spend her time in jail. Due to her actions, she caused all of this.
There should be more diligence at international borders to prevent entry or exit not properly authorized by the parents or the courts.

I'mTheFather

There should be more diligence at international borders to prevent entry or exit not properly authorized by the parents or the courts.
That may be true.

In this case, she was allowed to travel to the US with the child to settle her affairs here. She promised the court that she would return. Obviously, she didn't. Now, the child pays for her actions.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That may be true.

In this case, she was allowed to travel to the US with the child to settle her affairs here. She promised the court that she would return. Obviously, she didn't. Now, the child pays for her actions.
She admitted to the Federal Court in the US that she purposely LIED to the Irish court in order to make sure she could leave the country. She stated to the US Court that she had NO PLANS whatsoever to return with the child to Ireland even though she swore an oath to return after a limited time.

The woman is scum and slime -- she lied to the Irish courts and admitted she did so under oath to get what she wants. Now she wants SYMPATHY because her son has to go to Ireland (something she agreed to under oath -- though she is nothing but a big fat liar). I have no sympathy for the liar. I feel bad for the child who most likely has been poisoned against his father by both his mother and maternal grandmother.

LdiJ

She admitted to the Federal Court in the US that she purposely LIED to the Irish court in order to make sure she could leave the country. She stated to the US Court that she had NO PLANS whatsoever to return with the child to Ireland even though she swore an oath to return after a limited time.

The woman is scum and slime -- she lied to the Irish courts and admitted she did so under oath to get what she wants. Now she wants SYMPATHY because her son has to go to Ireland (something she agreed to under oath -- though she is nothing but a big fat liar). I have no sympathy for the liar. I feel bad for the child who most likely has been poisoned against his father by both his mother and maternal grandmother.
One good thing however comes out of this...its proof that the Hague Convention works. However, I really wish it would not take 4 years to work. That is what makes it so hard on the child. Even if he has not been poisoned against his father it obviously was a major traumna to leave his mother after 4 years. For the sake of the children it should not take that long to litigate a Hague Convention case.

Mnemosyne

Whatever happened to investigative journalism? The NBC 5 reporter's story reads like a puff piece in support of the mother and grandmother.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Whatever happened to investigative journalism? The NBC 5 reporter's story reads like a puff piece in support of the mother and grandmother.
Read the other stories out there. Don't you see though? This mother is having her baby ripped unjustly away from her and forced across the ocean and it isn't fair because she is MOM! :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">