• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

giving away old swingset

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WellGolly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I am not certain if this is the correct forum for my post. I will move/delete it if necessary.

I have a wooden swing set in my yard that is 7 or so years old. My kids no longer use it and I have been thinking about getting rid of it. It isn't in the best shape and has some wood damage. A person who I do not know posted on a neighborhood forum that he is looking for a free swing set. I have traded messages with him and let him know about the condition. He said that he is interested in getting this for a friend and will disassemble and remove it from my property himself.

I'm concerned due to comments from a neighbor that I have opened myself up to liability issues. Is this ill advised? I have no problem hiring a company to remove and trash it but liked the idea of not wasting it. Would you advise against this? Is there anything I can do to lessen my liability?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I am not certain if this is the correct forum for my post. I will move/delete it if necessary.

I have a wooden swing set in my yard that is 7 or so years old. My kids no longer use it and I have been thinking about getting rid of it. It isn't in the best shape and has some wood damage. A person who I do not know posted on a neighborhood forum that he is looking for a free swing set. I have traded messages with him and let him know about the condition. He said that he is interested in getting this for a friend and will disassemble and remove it from my property himself.

I'm concerned due to comments from a neighbor that I have opened myself up to liability issues. Is this ill advised? I have no problem hiring a company to remove and trash it but liked the idea of not wasting it. Would you advise against this? Is there anything I can do to lessen my liability?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any advice.
You are giving it away on freecycle? Then no, why would you think you are opening yourself up to liability?

WellGolly

I'm not going through freecycle but through a small neighborhood forum. The person who posted may or may not live there and I don't know them. The swing set is large, has very heavy pieces, and is old and has damage. I don't know if the support beam for the swings is safe. I can't tell. The person who is interested in the swing set will be coming to my home, taking it apart and moving it. He indicated he was doing this for someone else. I used a company to deliver it and set it up and they used a team of 4.

A neighbor expressed concern about the possibility of the person getting injured while taking it apart and moving it. Also could I be held liable if it is unsafe and the person who receives it and sets it up gets injured or their children get injured? If you were in my shoes, would you have any concern?

LdiJ

I'm not going through freecycle but through a small neighborhood forum. The person who posted may or may not live there and I don't know them. The swing set is large, has very heavy pieces, and is old and has damage. I don't know if the support beam for the swings is safe. I can't tell. The person who is interested in the swing set will be coming to my home, taking it apart and moving it. He indicated he was doing this for someone else. I used a company to deliver it and set it up and they used a team of 4.

A neighbor expressed concern about the possibility of the person getting injured while taking it apart and moving it. Also could I be held liable if it is unsafe and the person who receives it and sets it up gets injured or their children get injured? If you were in my shoes, would you have any concern?
I honestly wouldn't be worried about it.

tranquility

If you wanted to be a little extra cautious, I would first check to make sure the swing set has not been recalled for any reason. I am uncertain as to if a free transfer would be considered to be in violation of 15 U.S. Code 2068:
(1) sell, offer for sale, manufacture for sale, distribute in commerce, or import into the United States any consumer product, or other product or substance that is regulated under this chapter or any other Act enforced by the Commission, that is not in conformity with an applicable consumer product safety rule under this chapter, or any similar rule, regulation, standard, or ban under any other Act enforced by the Commission;
But, if it has been recalled, why take the chance?

TigerD

If you are actually worried about, why take the chance? Just throw it away or have a bonfire.

DC

FarmerJ

If swing set wooden parts are treated lumber , its not a good choice to burn treated lumber (air pollution from the chemicals )

tranquility

I was confused over whether I should silently scream, "Think of the Children!" or "Global Warming!" in my head. Now I have to add a cancer fear?

FarmerJ

It is not just cancer ( passing out aluminum hats ) the global warming is getting our planet ready for the coming invasion from Remulak :)~

WellGolly

I didn't even think of checking for a recall. Doing that now.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm going to be busy finding another advice board to learn the proper way to fold an aluminum hat. The work never ends...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It is not just cancer ( passing out aluminum hats ) the global warming is getting our planet ready for the coming invasion from Remulak :)~
Na-uh.... The Daleks are coming! But the Weeping Angels have already invaded. You are not even aware of the actual threat! DO NOT BLINK!

I didn't even think of checking for a recall. Doing that now.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm going to be busy finding another advice board to learn the proper way to fold an aluminum hat. The work never ends...
This is my favorite post in the history of the internet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">