• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marchman act my unmarried daughter , where do her kids go?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fl1983

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Im a 60 year old grandmother in Florida my daughter is not married has 3 kids and lives with the kids father.They both have very bad drug abuse promblems and fight all the time hit each other and the kids.Since they both have such bad drug abuse promblems im scared and I don't know what to do? If I use the marchman act with them will I get the kids? his mother lives closer to them but is very abusive to her kids and now grandkids it may even be worse if she takes them.I have to do something fast my husband and I are very scared for my grandkids lives as well as my daughters.
Any advice would be great my husband and I don't know what to do and I don't know if my age would be a problem.
Thank you

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Im a 60 year old grandmother in Florida my daughter is not married has 3 kids and lives with the kids father.They both have very bad drug abuse promblems and fight all the time hit each other and the kids.Since they both have such bad drug abuse promblems im scared and I don't know what to do? If I use the marchman act with them will I get the kids? his mother lives closer to them but is very abusive to her kids and now grandkids it may even be worse if she takes them.I have to do something fast my husband and I are very scared for my grandkids lives as well as my daughters.
Any advice would be great my husband and I don't know what to do and I don't know if my age would be a problem.
Thank you

What have child services said so far?

Fl1983

When I contacted CPS they went to there house and my daughter was drunk but her b oyfriend was home so they said since there was food there and a sober person all they could do is send her to outpatient treatment for 30 days and if she didn't do that could I take the kids and I said yes but she did do her 30 days.I thought things were better but there worse she drink at least 20 beers a day and gin all day everyday and her boyfriend is not there just her and the kids her oldest son 12 misses school a lot to take care of here at least 2 days a week.
CPS was helpful but now the problem is worse .

single317dad

In my opinion, using involuntary commitment (like Marchman) and semi-voluntary (such as your past experience with CPS) is ineffective in substance abuse treatment. You'd probably be better off pursuing a civil action for custody of the children. Your attorney (you'll need one) can help you establish grounds for that action.

Proserpina

When I contacted CPS they went to there house and my daughter was drunk but her b oyfriend was home so they said since there was food there and a sober person all they could do is send her to outpatient treatment for 30 days and if she didn't do that could I take the kids and I said yes but she did do her 30 days.I thought things were better but there worse she drink at least 20 beers a day and gin all day everyday and her boyfriend is not there just her and the kids her oldest son 12 misses school a lot to take care of here at least 2 days a week.

This isn't really what you asked but if that's actually what CPS did without a court order, I'm appalled.

Other than, speak to an attorney.

Proserpina

One other thing.

If CPS has not actually bothered to do anything, if you do decide to file for custody, prepare to lose and prepare to never see those children again.

OHRoadwarrior

Actually, 20 beers a day, has a lower alcoholic content than I sometimes drink in a few hours due to pain. It is not that significant.

LdiJ

20 beers a day and gin all day, everyday? I think that there is some exaggerating going on here grandma...maybe not from you, but perhaps from your source of information. That much alcohol would kill somebody. I am not even sure that someone's body could absorb that much beer in a day either. That is a heck of a lot of liquid. On top of that, the expense would be seriously high. I am not saying that your daughter isn't a serious drunk, I am simply saying that exaggeration can do more harm than good when trying to get action taken.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If she didn't do outpatient, you COULD NOT take the children. You have no legal standing. Don't take legal advice from CPS. If her boyfriend is the legal father, he stands in priority.

Fl1983

20 beers a day and gin all day, everyday? I think that there is some exaggerating going on here grandma...maybe not from you, but perhaps from your source of information. That much alcohol would kill somebody. I am not even sure that someone's body could absorb that much beer in a day either. That is a heck of a lot of liquid. On top of that, the expense would be seriously high. I am not saying that your daughter isn't a serious drunk, I am simply saying that exaggeration can do more harm than good when trying to get action taken.
I wish I was exaggerating my older daughters husband is a family doctor he is the one that contacted cps and me.Her health is very bad and Yes she is up to almost a full bottle of gin a day as she told me "I can drink so much beer I just never feel it" and I have almost all recipts to prove the amount which were all in her car as my son in law says she will be dead if I don't get help that's not the question I want to make sure the kids are in a stable home with sober people to takw care of them. that's what I care about . I did contact a lawyer who said with all my proof I have there will be no problem with getting my grandkids asap.He is working on it now thank god!

Proserpina

I wish I was exaggerating my older daughters husband is a family doctor he is the one that contacted cps and me.Her health is very bad and Yes she is up to almost a full bottle of gin a day as she told me "I can drink so much beer I just never feel it" and I have almost all recipts to prove the amount which were all in her car as my son in law says she will be dead if I don't get help that's not the question I want to make sure the kids are in a stable home with sober people to takw care of them. that's what I care about . I did contact a lawyer who said with all my proof I have there will be no problem with getting my grandkids asap.He is working on it now thank god!

Fastest OG Effect EVER. On a Sunday no less!

You have proof of .... someone buying alcohol? That doesn't quite translate to proving Mom unfit, now does it?

Fl1983

If she didn't do outpatient, you COULD NOT take the children. You have no legal standing. Don't take legal advice from CPS. If her boyfriend is the legal father, he stands in priority.
Thank you or trying but I talked to a lawyer and he is NOT on the birth cert. and I do have more rights them him as his record will show what kind of person he is .But thanks I will take my lawyers advice now.:)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Really? Where is the children's father? If you have a lawyer giving you guarantees, I will state you better have a whole heck of a lot of money unless of course he is doing this for free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">