• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughters' mom moved two states away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

82nd Airborne

North Carolina. I have pretty much had my girls 5 overnights per week for 3 years. Things got crazy where the mom kept the girls from me (in the same city) for 3 months. During that time I filed for a temporary parenting agreement which awarded me the desired 50/50 7 days on and 7 days off with the girls. About three weeks into the agreement, the mom informed me that the TPA would not work because she is moving to Georgia.This was the very beginning of the school year and my oldest daughter (9) was going to school here. I put the 3 year old in daycare that I pay by myself weekly. By the end of the school year, my 9 year old had awards for perfect attendance, most academic growth among the girls in her class, honor roll all year, attends church regularly, was involved in dance and is in a very family oriented and positive environment. We have a court case coming up in August and I am seeking advice on a possible outcome. I do not want the girls away from their mom but I feel primary custody should be with me. What do you think my chances are for this?

Proserpina

North Carolina. I have pretty much had my girls 5 overnights per week for 3 years. Things got crazy where the mom kept the girls from me (in the same city) for 3 months. During that time I filed for a temporary parenting agreement which awarded me the desired 50/50 7 days on and 7 days off with the girls. About three weeks into the agreement, the mom informed me that the TPA would not work because she is moving to Georgia.This was the very beginning of the school year and my oldest daughter (9) was going to school here. I put the 3 year old in daycare that I pay by myself weekly. By the end of the school year, my 9 year old had awards for perfect attendance, most academic growth among the girls in her class, honor roll all year, attends church regularly, was involved in dance and is in a very family oriented and positive environment. We have a court case coming up in August and I am seeking advice on a possible outcome. I do not want the girls away from their mom but I feel primary custody should be with me. What do you think my chances are for this?

Quick question - and it really is a quick one - can you clarify that you have around 5 overnights a week?

82nd Airborne

To clarify the 5 over nights, we were never married nor did we live together. When the mom and I were living in the same city, the girls stayed at my house around 5 nights per week (I had the girls most of the time). For the second question, the mother moved to Georgia around August 2013

single317dad

So, from the time of the order until Mom moved, you had 7/7 time share?

When and what have you filed for the upcoming hearing?

My initial impression (based on far too little information to be making judgments yet) is that you had a very good case, but probably waited too long to pursue it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So what did you do in
September 2013,
October 2013
November 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014
June 2014?

When did you file anything disputing the move? How often have you seen them?

82nd Airborne

So what did you do in
September 2013,
October 2013
November 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014
June 2014?

When did you file anything disputing the move? How often have you seen them?
I apologize if I was not as clear as I should have been. The girls were with me from August 2013 until June 2014. They went to school from here with me. Per the temporary parenting agreement they went to Ga with their mom June 20 and will return August 1, 2014. I have had them the entire school year in addition to the times I specified earlier. I just know how the courts sometimes do and just wanted a heads up as to any potential outcome.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I apologize if I was not as clear as I should have been. The girls were with me from August 2013 until June 2014. They went to school from here with me. Per the temporary parenting agreement they went to Ga with their mom June 20 and will return August 1, 2014. I have had them the entire school year in addition to the times I specified earlier. I just know how the courts sometimes do and just wanted a heads up as to any potential outcome.
This is like pulling teeth and I am not a dentist. Who filed what? You have a good chance of keeping primary custody. Was the summer visitation court ordered? Who determined the children would stay with you? Was that court ordered? Information helps. Really.

Proserpina

This is like pulling teeth and I am not a dentist. Who filed what? You have a good chance of keeping primary custody. Was the summer visitation court ordered? Who determined the children would stay with you? Was that court ordered? Information helps. Really.

Yeap, I agree - now does Dad need to counter Mom's petition and ask for full custody? Should he file something new?

That aside, he certainly has status quo on his side.

82nd Airborne

I initially filed for custody. It has just taken forever to get a court date. We went back to court for the TPA ,when she kept them from me for the 3 months, which has holiday visits and the summer visit for the mother. The mom lives with her sister in Ga and is now working. I have been at my job for 17 years and am more than capable of providing for our girls. I want their mother in their lives but it is proven that the girls have a better overall situation living with me. This is why I am going for primary custody. She got an attorney and is trying to get custody as well. In the past year she has only had the girls for under two months yet when I asked her to send a little money for the girls she told me no. I am also filling for child support.

Proserpina

I initially filed for custody. It has just taken forever to get a court date. We went back to court for the TPA ,when she kept them from me for the 3 months, which has holiday visits and the summer visit for the mother. The mom lives with her sister in Ga and is now working. I have been at my job for 17 years and am more than capable of providing for our girls. I want their mother in their lives but it is proven that the girls have a better overall situation living with me. This is why I am going for primary custody. She got an attorney and is trying to get custody as well. In the past year she has only had the girls for under two months yet when I asked her to send a little money for the girls she told me no. I am also filling for child support.

Good - you filed for custody, you had the children for far more time than Mom. You're doing all the right things.

(I will not mention the thoughts I may or may not have about Mom)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">