• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st amendment violated on U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds Facebook page.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LsPilot82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Is the deleting of posts from a governments Facebook page a violation of our 1st amendment right? I posted a comment about how sad it is that we as a nation is using the term Happy 4th of July over Happy Independence Day. My post was deleted very soon after that. I then posted again talking about the irony that the day that we are suppose to be celebrating our freedoms, I was having mine infringed upon. That too was deleted and then I was blocked from posting anything else on their page.

Proserpina

Is the deleting of posts from a governments Facebook page a violation of our 1st amendment right? I posted a comment about how sad it is that we as a nation is using the term Happy 4th of July over Happy Independence Day. My post was deleted very soon after that. I then posted again talking about the irony that the day that we are suppose to be celebrating our freedoms, I was having mine infringed upon. That too was deleted and then I was blocked from posting anything else on their page.

Oh good grief no.

TigerD

The government does not own Facebook. You have no First Amendment rights on ANY privately owned server/website. :cool:
While that is true, if the government was deleting his comment because of the content of the speech, it does raise a colorable question. If the OP has a spare $500,000 - to $1 mil, he can litigate for the answer.

DC

LsPilot82

While that is true, if the government was deleting his comment because of the content of the speech, it does raise a colorable question. If the OP has a spare $500,000 - to $1 mil, he can litigate for the answer.

DC
Everything I can find online seems to point to the fact that of its a government ran page, then I have the same rights as protected under the Constitution.

CdwJava

You are free to post your preference for one phrase over another on your own Facebook page, and those of your friends. But no one - not even the Thunderbirds - need keep a post that they object to for whatever reason.

LsPilot82

You are free to post your preference for one phrase over another on your own Facebook page, and those of your friends. But no one - not even the Thunderbirds - need keep a post that they object to for whatever reason.
I disagree with that. My public opinion on a government ran Facebook is protected under free speech. My post was not bad and was within their rules for posting. I think such rules are bs anyway, however I made sure not to break those rules. They deleted both my post, then blocked me from commenting on future post.

TigerD

I disagree with that. My public opinion on a government ran Facebook is protected under free speech. My post was not bad and was within their rules for posting. I think such rules are bs anyway, however I made sure not to break those rules. They deleted both my post, then blocked me from commenting on future post.
What are you going to do about it?

Move on.

DC

LsPilot82

What are you going to do about it?

Move on.

DC
Ok, that's the answer. Let's just move on every time our rights are violated. I don't care how small this may seem to you guys, but my argument is valid. When do we step up and say enough? Today it's deleting of Facebook posts, tomorrow it's throwing you in prison. I know that's extreme, but it sets a precedent.

TigerD

Ok, that's the answer. Let's just move on every time our rights are violated. I don't care how small this may seem to you guys, but my argument is valid. When do we step up and day enough? Today it's deleting of Facebook posts, tomorrow it's throwing you in prison. I know that's extreme, but it sets a precedent.
It doesn't matter if it is or is not valid. You can't do anything about it. You have the right to all the freedom you can afford and not a cent more.

DC

LsPilot82

It doesn't matter if it is or is not valid. You can't do anything about it. You have the right to all the freedom you can afford and not a cent more.

DC
Well thank goodness there are people out there to help and avenues to take. The more I research the more I'll know what to do.

Proserpina

"Congress shall make no law...".

Where does that bit include "We're not allowed to remove your ridiculous comments from the comments section"?

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.
(Taken from a gazillion online sources)

Now. Given that Congress hasn't actually made a law prohibiting you from playing on the Interwebz....

Proserpina

You misunderstand.

Greatly.

There is no such law preventing you from participating.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">