• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police stopped on emergency lane to pull over for speeding.Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mweiss0529

MO

There's a spot in Saint Louis area where cops are pulling people over every day. They park in an emergency lane sometimes 2-3 cars in a row to get people for speeding. After they get a read on their equipment that a person is speeding they proceed to drive up to 70 mph on an emergency lane to enter traffic. Is this legal? I thought emergency lanes are for EMERGENCIES only. Is it legal? Looks like a hazard to other motorists

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
MO

There's a spot in Saint Louis area where cops are pulling people over every day. They park in an emergency lane sometimes 2-3 cars in a row to get people for speeding. After they get a read on their equipment that a person is speeding they proceed to drive up to 70 mph on an emergency lane to enter traffic. Is this legal? I thought emergency lanes are for EMERGENCIES only. Is it legal? Looks like a hazard to other motorists
Perfectly legal. It's for the use of emergency vehicles in the performance of their duties (among other things.)

Bali Hai

MO

The hazard to other motorists are the speeders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">