• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to determine what elementary school my 5 yr old will go to for kindergarten

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momsince2009

I'm in Lake county Florida. My ex-husband and I share custody of our 5 yr old and have no court order for our custody agreement. We share the custody and expenses equally, typically without any real issues. Now that school is starting I'm worried about the decisions I make and how they will affect the current understanding that we have. Since the beginning of our separation we have made slight changes to our schedules with our son but I work weekends and his dad doesn't so for the most part I have always had him during the week. Our current schedule is: I have him Mon-Thu and his dad has him Fri-Sun and I have him every 5th weekend. It has worked very well for us so far. Now that school is starting next month my son's dad told me that he thinks that we should change our schedule so that he has him for the weekdays and I have him on the weekends because either him or his wife will be able to pick our son up from school every day and not have to use afterschool daycare. I changed my work schedule so he wouldn't keep pushing to change our custody agreement. Now he wants our son to go to school in his district because it is in a richer neighborhood and has a better reputation. The elementary school I was planning on him going is within eye sight of where I live. The school near his dad is 30+ minutes away from me. I'm not sure if the school is better or not. I've checked out both of them and they're just schools. One is prettier than the other but neither seems all that different in what they teach or the quality of the teachers. So the main question is, if he stays with me during the week can he go to the school in his dad's district? And if he does will that risk me loosing custody if his dad pushes for weekly custody instead of just weekends? Is it a risk for me to take my son to the school in his dad's district when he is with me on school nights, or is this a common thing?
My son's dad is very clever. He communicates only by email so he has proof of all of our conversations. He always words things to make himself seem the bigger person and have a hand up on me. I'm a single mom with a professional job where I work 50+ hours a week (mostly weekends) and he and his wife work much less but having both of their incomes can afford more than me and have a more flexable schedule. I don't know how a judge would look at this if we were to end up in court.
There are other issues but I feel like this is too long already.
Thank you to anyone that can help. I'm at a loss at what to do.

single317dad

Putting aside the gamesmanship between you and Dad...

What do you think is best for the child? (which school? what schedule? which living arrangement?)

LdiJ

I'm in Lake county Florida. My ex-husband and I share custody of our 5 yr old and have no court order for our custody agreement. We share the custody and expenses equally, typically without any real issues. Now that school is starting I'm worried about the decisions I make and how they will affect the current understanding that we have. Since the beginning of our separation we have made slight changes to our schedules with our son but I work weekends and his dad doesn't so for the most part I have always had him during the week. Our current schedule is: I have him Mon-Thu and his dad has him Fri-Sun and I have him every 5th weekend. It has worked very well for us so far. Now that school is starting next month my son's dad told me that he thinks that we should change our schedule so that he has him for the weekdays and I have him on the weekends because either him or his wife will be able to pick our son up from school every day and not have to use afterschool daycare. I changed my work schedule so he wouldn't keep pushing to change our custody agreement. Now he wants our son to go to school in his district because it is in a richer neighborhood and has a better reputation. The elementary school I was planning on him going is within eye sight of where I live. The school near his dad is 30+ minutes away from me. I'm not sure if the school is better or not. I've checked out both of them and they're just schools. One is prettier than the other but neither seems all that different in what they teach or the quality of the teachers. So the main question is, if he stays with me during the week can he go to the school in his dad's district? And if he does will that risk me loosing custody if his dad pushes for weekly custody instead of just weekends? Is it a risk for me to take my son to the school in his dad's district when he is with me on school nights, or is this a common thing?
My son's dad is very clever. He communicates only by email so he has proof of all of our conversations. He always words things to make himself seem the bigger person and have a hand up on me. I'm a single mom with a professional job where I work 50+ hours a week (mostly weekends) and he and his wife work much less but having both of their incomes can afford more than me and have a more flexable schedule. I don't know how a judge would look at this if we were to end up in court.
There are other issues but I feel like this is too long already.
Thank you to anyone that can help. I'm at a loss at what to do.
Based on status quo and the fact that you have him 4 out of 5 school days, if it went to court, the judge would almost certainly say that the child would go to school in your district...based on the facts that you have given here.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What sort of hours do you work during the week? If most of your hours are on the weekend, why would the child need (ETA much) afterschool care?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">