• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hourly employee traveling but no OT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Not_sure?

The applies to the state of Michigan.

I worked as an hourly employee with no benefits for a university and part of my job included traveling on trips, sometimes as long as 10 or 12 days. I was instructed to fill out my time sheet for 40 hours only and never more than 8 hours a day.

Was I entitled to 24 hours of pay for each day I was traveling?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The applies to the state of Michigan.

I worked as an hourly employee with no benefits for a university and part of my job included traveling on trips, sometimes as long as 10 or 12 days. I was instructed to fill out my time sheet for 40 hours only and never more than 8 hours a day.

Was I entitled to 24 hours of pay for each day I was traveling?
No. Were you WORKING the entire time or did you sleep? Did you see anything other than your job? Lounge at the hotel pool? Watch television?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you were not. But you *may* have been entitled to more than the straight 40 hours. It depends on how and when you traveled. And I am talking about the literal travel time - the time you were in the car, plane, train.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs53.htm

Under no circumstances are you entitled to the full 24 hours unless you were literally working for 24 hours.

Not_sure?

Thank you for the clarifications. The 24 hours was more tongue-in-cheek to throw out the most extreme case, but I understand that I should only count working hours.

So going back to the OT side of things, If I worked 6 days straight but was told to only put 5 days on my timesheet was I being taken advantage of?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. You MUST be paid for all the time actually working. Whether you need to be paid for the time actually engaged in travel is dependent on a number of variable factors, but time spent working must be paid regardless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">