• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergency Order Of Protection question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daee1992

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

So last year I got into a fight with a friend and did something stupid. I popped her tire out of anger. She called the cops, I paid the damaged, and apologized.
After that she didn't press charges but she filed a 6 month restraining order. I stayed away from her. It has been over for a couple months now.
She used to be my best friend. Really close, even lived with me at one point.

I was 20 at the time. Anyway my questions are, can I still get in trouble if I contact her? If I ran into her in town and said something, would she be able to get me in trouble? Or if I added her on facebook or something like that, could I still get in any trouble?

Eekamouse

Why would you think she'd want to hear from you? Are you trying to stir up more trouble for yourself? Leave her alone and grow up. What you did was incredibly juvenile.

Daee1992

Why would you think she'd want to hear from you? Are you trying to stir up more trouble for yourself? Leave her alone and grow up. What you did was incredibly juvenile.

no i am not just wanting to know if its POSSIBLE to get in trouble...if its up then i can do what i want, i am not under any restraint by law anymore, isnt that correct?

quincy

no i am not just wanting to know if its POSSIBLE to get in trouble...if its up then i can do what i want, i am not under any restraint by law anymore, isnt that correct?
Yes, it is possible for you to get into trouble by contacting the former friend who obtained a restraining order against you.

The trouble would not be for violating the terms of a protection order. The protection order has expired. The trouble would come from the friend's reaction to hearing from you again. If she is still afraid, this could lead to a call to the police and another protection order being issued. A second protection order is apt to last for longer than six months.

Your former friend is probably as aware as you are that the protection order is no longer in effect. Because she was the one who sought the order in the first place, though, you should let her be the first one to seek out contact (if she has any desire to see or communicate with you again).

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

So last year I got into a fight with a friend and did something stupid. I popped her tire out of anger. She called the cops, I paid the damaged, and apologized.
After that she didn't press charges but she filed a 6 month restraining order. I stayed away from her. It has been over for a couple months now.
She used to be my best friend. Really close, even lived with me at one point.

I was 20 at the time. Anyway my questions are, can I still get in trouble if I contact her? If I ran into her in town and said something, would she be able to get me in trouble? Or if I added her on facebook or something like that, could I still get in any trouble?
Your post isn't really a 'legal" one...but I'll bite.

Stay away from said friend. No you, if what you stated is true, will not get busted if you say "hello" if you pass her on the street. But ...just don't.

You are no longer BFF. Live with it and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">