• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nothing specified as means used to determine speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Actionclaw

Ohio is the name of my state (only U.S. law)

I'm trying to prepare my case contesting a speeding ticket. I assumed radar was used and intend to challenge it using the device inaccuracy, lack of proper calibration, training, etc. as my defense.

I was not told how it was determined that I was allegedly speeding nor was I shown "locked in radar" or similar at the time I was pulled over. (I understand an officer is not required to do so.) Later, upon reviewing the ticket I observed that, in the field provided to specify the method used (radar, laser, VASCAR, Pace, etc.), nothing at all was selected.

Can this imply the figure was just pulled out of his ..the air?

Could this fact (that nothing was specified) alone be grounds to dismiss the case?

If yes, can I move that it be dismissed by contacting the prosecutor in advance or do so in court at the scheduled date?

If this omission is not sufficient grounds to dismiss the case, what is the proper protocol regarding obtaining information such as what method used and if radar, the device's user manual, calibration records, whether training was received, etc.? Am I to contact the prosecutor or the police department?

Thanks for any assistance

racer72

A better option would be using the discovery process to find the method used to determine your speed. Pulling things out of your, the thin air as you suggest rarely works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">