• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i have to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michael55476

I was involved in a NEAR accident that happened in a mall parking lot. I thought I was supposed to turn in between the parking stalls but my girlfriend told me otherwise. So then I u-turned out of the lot right away. There was a big parked truck that blocked my view as I turned back the way I came. I NEARLY hit a motorcyclist with my car. We both slammed on our breaks and he ended up falling off the motorcycle from slamming on his. I was going 20 mph. I just didn't see him coming before unfortunately. An ambulance was called but his injuries were minimal. After the cops got there I told them what happened and I was free to go. The motorcyclists insurance company just sent me a letter saying their investigation revealed that I caused the loss and that they were entitled to recover money from me. Ok yes maybe I was being a little careless but I never made contact with him or his bike. Shouldn't his insurance cover this themselves without help from me since there was no collision?

ecmst12

If OP is found at fault and they have to pay a significant amount of money, the rates will absolutely go up. However, that is not a good reason not to report the accident immediately. Yes, you can still be found liable for injuries in an accident like this. Even though there was no contact, the motorcyclist would not have fallen if not for your actions.

Eekamouse

You CAUSED the motorcycle to crash from YOUR careless driving. You shouldn't be driving at all if you are trying to weasel out of taking responsibility for what YOU caused.

latigo

I was involved in a NEAR accident that happened in a mall parking lot. I thought I was supposed to turn in between the parking stalls but my girlfriend told me otherwise. So then I u-turned out of the lot right away. There was a big parked truck that blocked my view as I turned back the way I came. I NEARLY hit a motorcyclist with my car. We both slammed on our breaks and he ended up falling off the motorcycle from slamming on his. I was going 20 mph. I just didn't see him coming before unfortunately. An ambulance was called but his injuries were minimal. After the cops got there I told them what happened and I was free to go. The motorcyclists insurance company just sent me a letter saying their investigation revealed that I caused the loss and that they were entitled to recover money from me. Ok yes maybe I was being a little careless but I never made contact with him or his bike. Shouldn't his insurance cover this themselves without help from me since there was no collision?
You claim you were just a "little" careless in driving 20 miles per hour in a congested parking lot with your vision obstructed?! How noble of you!

More idiotic is your notion that because you didn't actually collide with the motorcycle you are blameless. And if you are thinking that because the cops said you were "free to go" plays any part in your liability, think again.

Also, revise your thinking about not getting "your parents involved". The insurance company has paid for their insured's medical care. If they are not reimbursed, you and your parents are going to be sued to recover those costs. Not in the name of the insurance company, but in the name of their insured. Meaning the bike rider you could have permanently maimed or killed.

ecmst12

I should mention that this site is for US law only. You need to provide the name of your state to get the most accurate information.

Bali Hai

You claim you were just a "little" careless in driving 20 miles per hour in a congested parking lot with your vision obstructed?! How noble of you!

More idiotic is your notion that because you didn't actually collide with the motorcycle you are blameless. And if you are thinking that because the cops said you were "free to go" plays any part in your liability, think again.

Also, revise your thinking about not getting "your parents involved". The insurance company has paid for their insured's medical care. If they are not reimbursed, you and your parents are going to be sued to recover those costs. Not in the name of the insurance company, but in the name of their insured. Meaning the bike rider you could have permanently maimed or killed.
Every time a young punk careless driver has an accident, my insurance premiums go up. This pisses me off, especially when the punk tries to make out like anything they do is somebody else's fault. When winter comes you will see these idiots in the ditch, I won't stop because that's where they belong.

ecmst12

No, that is not how insurance premiums work. Please stop posting in this forum. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and you are misinforming people.

Bali Hai

No, that is not how insurance premiums work. Please stop posting in this forum. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and you are misinforming people.
I'll stop posting when YOU tell us EXACTLY how insurance premiums work. Deal?

ecmst12

You can look up the process if you like. Companies spend a long time writing their calculation policy and then they have to submit it to the state insurance department (yes, in every state where they do business) for approval. Changing it is a pain and takes a long time. So no, your premiums do NOT go up every time someone else has an accident. Your premiums may go up if YOU have an accident. It may also be related to the overall amount of accidents in your geographical area or for people of similar age/gender/marital status/credit score. If you are a male between 18 and 25, you do get hit with higher rates even if you've never had an accident because of the behavior of the entire population of males from 18 to 25, but it's not as simple as "when someone else has an accident my premiums go up", it's not a real time calculation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">