• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant renting / can home be sold?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dscurlock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

I have a tenant that has a lease/buy option, of course you know the tenant
is renting for a year and has the option to buy, etc....

If the tenant defaults on rent, being late, etc...do they still have
that legal option? or can I sell the home with the renter still in place....

She claims the check is in the mail...right [wink] [wink]
local mail, 3 days later, still no check, right [wink] [wink]

then she gives me attitude when I ask why she is not
responding to me anymore, and she most likely
played the victim with kids on the last landlord too.....

FlyingRon

You can always sell the house, the new owner is obviously bound by any lease (and possibly lease-purchase) agreements in place.
Unless you're selling the place in a market for rental properties, it will probably decrease the chances of selling the place if you have a tenant, moreso if there is lease-options in place.

As for what you can do to terminate the lease-option contract in the case of deadbeat tenants, that should be spelled out in the agreement.

dscurlock

You can always sell the house, the new owner is obviously bound by any lease (and possibly lease-purchase) agreements in place.
Unless you're selling the place in a market for rental properties, it will probably decrease the chances of selling the place if you have a tenant, moreso if there is lease-options in place.

As for what you can do to terminate the lease-option contract in the case of deadbeat tenants, that should be spelled out in the agreement.
Some things in life you just plain regret, and this is one of them....
I am no longer living in state, and a neighbor had a friend, and swore
up and down that I would not have any rent issues with her, and two
months after she had moved in; someone set the house on fire...
and not random arson either...its a feud between two women....

This has certainly become a costly mistake....

never again will I do a favor for anyone....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">