• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invisalign question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jam710

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

My divorce decree states I am to pay half of medical including orthodontic expenses. My ex decided to get invisalign for my son, which are not medically necessary, without my knowledge. She is now saying I owe her half the cost. My question is, since these were not medically necessary and I was not told until months after the fact, do I still need to pay half? She was also told to go to a doctor that accepts my insurance which once again she did not, although there are several in her area. Funny thing is she is trying to make me pay half of the total monthly bill, although my insurance is paying half the bill she doesn't realize I get the insurance paperwork.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

My divorce decree states I am to pay half of medical including orthodontic expenses. My ex decided to get invisalign for my son, which are not medically necessary, without my knowledge. She is now saying I owe her half the cost. My question is, since these were not medically necessary and I was not told until months after the fact, do I still need to pay half? She was also told to go to a doctor that accepts my insurance which once again she did not, although there are several in her area. Funny thing is she is trying to make me pay half of the total monthly bill, although my insurance is paying half the bill she doesn't realize I get the insurance paperwork.
Depends. What does your order say *exactly* regarding medical/orthodontic costs and do you have joint legal?

justalayman

Are you saying the style or orthodontic device was not medically necessary or that the orthodontic treatment itself was not medically necessary?

The part about your insurance makes no sense. You say she did not go to a provider that accepts your insurance yet you say your insurance is paying half of the bill. Can you explain?

Jam710

She has sole care, long story short I am active duty and was told by my lawyer at the time I could not get joint custody due to my job. I obviously know better now.
My divorce states
I shall maintain health insurance for the benefit of the child. The parties shall equally divide all uncovered medical, dental, optical, orthodontic and prescription expenses for the minor child.

It was written in a recent order by the judge that she should try to go to a doctor that accepts my insurance.

His teeth were fine, there was no medical reason for the invisalign it was purely for cosmetic reasons. I am not sure I should have to pay for a procedure because his mother thought his teeth were not straight enough. If he had said he wanted them it would be different. I was not informed until months later that he even had the invisalign.

I have insurance through the military, if she had used a provider that accepts our insurance the cost out of pocket would have been significantly less than it is now that she used whoever she wanted.

Thanks for all the help, this has been a battle for the last 10 years.

RRevak

e.

His teeth were fine, there was no medical reason for the invisalign it was purely for cosmetic reasons. I am not sure I should have to pay for a procedure because his mother thought his teeth were not straight enough. If he had said he wanted them it would be different. I was not informed until months later that he even had the invisalign.

Do you know this because you've spoken to the childs orthodontist or are you just guessing?

Jam710

Do you know this because you've spoken to the childs orthodontist or are you just guessing?
I spoke with my son who is 16, he said it was to make his teeth straight. From everything I have found on the internet invisalign is mainly for cosmetic dentistry. I might be wrong on that fact. If my son had said he was in pain due to his teeth I would have no problems.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I spoke with my son who is 16, he said it was to make his teeth straight. From everything I have found on the internet invisalign is mainly for cosmetic dentistry. I might be wrong on that fact. If my son had said he was in pain due to his teeth I would have no problems.
Invasalign are braces. They are more cosmetic in that you don't have to see the braces, but they are braces nonetheless. Braces are designed to straighten teeth.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Invasalign are braces. They are more cosmetic in that you don't have to see the braces, but they are braces nonetheless. Braces are designed to straighten teeth.
They are also used to realign misaligned bites. The Teen had an overbite (a malocclusion, I believe the ortho called it) that responded beautifully to braces. She wasn't in any pain, either. But it needed to be done. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They are also used to realign misaligned bites. The Teen had an overbite (a malocclusion, I believe the ortho called it) that responded beautifully to braces. She wasn't in any pain, either. But it needed to be done. :cool:
Yep - thanks for the additional info :)

RRevak

Invisalign isn't just for cosmetic issues. It corrects many of the same issues traditional braces correct. Only difference is you can see the braces and must learn proper care and maintenance while Invisalign is a simple snap in set that is easier to care for. Many teeth issues also do not cause pain. My kiddo isn't in any pain but has a mouth so disjointed that her ortho and dentist wonder how in the world she eats properly. Before jumping to conclusions and attempting to get information from your 16yr old son, why don't you do the adult thing and speak to the ortho who actually handled the situation. Only they can tell you whether they were truly needed or not. Your son and the internet aren't orthodontists.

And on a side note: Does your insurance even cover orthodontia? I know mine does not and many others i'm familiar with either cover zero or merely a portion. And if your son told you he was self conscious about his teeth and wanted them fixed would you still be here griping about the cost?

single317dad

Your options are:

- Pay your portion of the expense,
- Return to court and ask the judge to clarify/decide whether you're responsible for your portion of the expense, or
- Fail to pay and wait for Mom to take you to court and ask the judge to order you to do so or be held in contempt.

Jam710

Invisalign isn't just for cosmetic issues. It corrects many of the same issues traditional braces correct. Only difference is you can see the braces and must learn proper care and maintenance while Invisalign is a simple snap in set that is easier to care for. Many teeth issues also do not cause pain. My kiddo isn't in any pain but has a mouth so disjointed that her ortho and dentist wonder how in the world she eats properly. Before jumping to conclusions and attempting to get information from your 16yr old son, why don't you do the adult thing and speak to the ortho who actually handled the situation. Only they can tell you whether they were truly needed or not. Your son and the internet aren't orthodontists.

And on a side note: Does your insurance even cover orthodontia? I know mine does not and many others i'm familiar with either cover zero or merely a portion. And if your son told you he was self conscious about his teeth and wanted them fixed would you still be here griping about the cost?
I am going to call and talk to the office, I was just wanting to see what my options were before I spent more time and money. I didn't think I was griping about the cost and if my son, or my ex, for that matter had come and talked to me before hand it would be different. He had spacing between his front teeth, we had talked before and he didn't act like it was any big deal. I personally needed to save for a big expense such as braces. My insurance does cover part of the expense. My thought process was this is a cosmetic procedure, I should at least be included in the decision making process. Instead I am just handed a note saying I owe her $2,000. This has been a long and very expensive road for me, I just wanted to see if there was any option for me.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I am going to call and talk to the office, I was just wanting to see what my options were before I spent more time and money. I didn't think I was griping about the cost and if my son, or my ex, for that matter had come and talked to me before hand it would be different. He had spacing between his front teeth, we had talked before and he didn't act like it was any big deal. I personally needed to save for a big expense such as braces. My insurance does cover part of the expense. My thought process was this is a cosmetic procedure, I should at least be included in the decision making process. Instead I am just handed a note saying I owe her $2,000. This has been a long and very expensive road for me, I just wanted to see if there was any option for me.
Pay her and claim it on your taxes as a medical expense (I'm pretty sure it would qualify). :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">