• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recorded Conversation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anonymous0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I came here because I have a question regarding the legality of someone recording a conversation and posting it to the internet. If someone recorded me without my consent could they legally post in on the internet? I apologize for my ignorance because it seems like it should not be legal. Also, I would like to inquire if it is legal for them to show the recordings to other people considering I never gave consent in the first place.

Thank you for your time,
Anonymous0

Edit: I would also like to know what legal action could and should be taken if said person decided to upload them due to ignorance.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I came here because I have a question regarding the legality of someone recording a conversation and posting it to the internet. If someone recorded me without my consent could they legally post in on the internet? I apologize for my ignorance because it seems like it should not be legal. Also, I would like to inquire if it is legal for them to show the recordings to other people considering I never gave consent in the first place.

Thank you for your time,
Anonymous0

Edit: I would also like to know what legal action could and should be taken if said person decided to upload them due to ignorance.
It is (generally) a violation of Pennsylvania recording laws to record a conversation without the consent of the person being recorded (there are some exceptions). It would also, therefore, be illegal to post these recordings on the internet. Depending on the content, various other laws may be violated with the posting of the recording (e.g., privacy laws).

For a look at the laws, here are links to the Digital Media Law Project's Legal Guide on recording phone calls and conversations:

An overview of recording laws: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

Laws specific to Pennsylvania: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/pennsylvania/pennsylvania-recording-law

You might want to seek out the advice and direction of an attorney in your area who can personally review the specific facts involved in the recording of the conversation and its subsequent posting on the internet, and who can discuss your legal options with you after this review.

Good luck.

Last edited:

anonymous0

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. If it's not too much to ask, I have one additional question. If I were to move to another state where a different law applied, could I be putting myself at risk or would it stay in the state where the recordings were originally made?

Anonymous0

quincy

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. If it's not too much to ask, I have one additional question. If I were to move to another state where a different law applied, could I be putting myself at risk or would it stay in the state where the recordings were originally made?

Anonymous0
I am not sure I understand your question. At risk for what?

If a person is recorded in Pennsylvania without that person's consent, and the recording violated Pennsylvania recording laws, the recording remains illegal even if the person recording it leaves the state or the person who was recorded leaves the state.

This would be true in most cases when there are interstate recordings, as well. If in one state it is legal to record a conversation without consent and in another state it is illegal to record a conversation without consent, the state that has the stricter recording laws will generally govern, should legal action be pursued against the person doing the recording.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">