• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I replace an existing second house on a property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shannigann

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I own a property with 2 houses on it. I bought the property with a main house and a rental manufactured home on it. The manufacture home was put on the property in 1980 by the previous owner. It was "grandfathered" in before whatever law was made to prevent adding another house to the property. The house has it's own address, has it's own electricity, and septic tank. Although, the water is connected from the main house well. They run off the same pumps.

Is it possible to replace the old house with a new manufactured home? Is there a way to go to court to get permission to do so?

This rental house is old and needs to be put out of it's misery. We need the rent money from that house to pay the payment for the whole property. Any advise?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I own a property with 2 houses on it. I bought the property with a main house and a rental manufactured home on it. The manufacture home was put on the property in 1980 by the previous owner. It was "grandfathered" in before whatever law was made to prevent adding another house to the property. The house has it's own address, has it's own electricity, and septic tank. Although, the water is connected from the main house well. They run off the same pumps.

Is it possible to replace the old house with a new manufactured home? Is there a way to go to court to get permission to do so?

This rental house is old and needs to be put out of it's misery. We need the rent money from that house to pay the payment for the whole property. Any advise?
You would need to talk to the agency in your area that gives permits for construction projects. They would be able to tell you whether or not replacing the existing home would still be grandfathered in...or at least whom you should speak to if they are not the correct people.

justalayman

Once grandfathered conditions change the permission that allowed the grandfathered permission ceases. Generally the only option in situations such as this are to apply for a variance. Whether one could or would be granted will be up to the municipality and neighbors.

Is there any possibility of dividing the property such you can create a buildable lot?

LdiJ

Once grandfathered conditions change the permission that allowed the grandfathered permission ceases. Generally the only option in situations such as this are to apply for a variance. Whether one could or would be granted will be up to the municipality and neighbors.

Is there any possibility of dividing the property such you can create a buildable lot?
I am not sure that is true in this case...it could be, but I think that we are essentially saying similar things. He needs to talk to the local people who control those issues.

There is no point in a debate here. Whatever we think will be irrelevant to the end result.

justalayman

I am not sure that is true in this case...it could be, but I think that we are essentially saying similar things. He needs to talk to the local people who control those issues.

There is no point in a debate here. Whatever we think will be irrelevant to the end result.
You don't think what's correct? I would have to dig to verify it for the op's specific municipality (which is not known currently) in Oegon but in areas I am familiar with once the grandfathered condition ceases, the only way to replace what was grandfathered would be to seek a variance of the new building codes. That means once the home is removed, the condition that was grandfathered ceases to exist and a replacement wouid not be allowed unless a variance to allow a non-confirming condition to be established was granted.
Most municipalities use those same rules.

Yes op would have to ask the local rule makers but I highly suspect what I said will be the case.

FarmerJ

You do have one other choice which is to move into the old stick built home and rent the other housing unit out and very slowly begin to repair it while you live in iit since its entirely possible that you may not be able to get a permit to replace it but might only be able to tear it down or repair it. ( kind of like having a pre existing outhouse in a rural area , you may keep it, fix it up but once its torn down you cannot replace it with another )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">