• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Excessive Emergency Room Doctor Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neelix

State of West Virginia.

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum or not, but about 4 weeks ago I had been ill for about a week and a half, getting progressively worse. I was having trouble breathing, coughing, flu-like symptoms and fever. I do not have medical insurance and I had not visited a doctor in years. However, due to the trouble breathing issue being extremely severe, I realized I had no alternative but to seek medical treatment, I drove myself to the emergency room at Berkley County Medical Center. I explained to them I was having trouble breathing, I was asked to sign a consent to treatment, which I signed.

I was examined by a nurse and/or CNA, and I interacted with a doctor for a grand total of about 5 minutes. My entire emergency room visit probably lasted about 35 minutes total. During that time, I had my lungs listened to by a stethoscope, I was given 100mg of Prednisone, a Zithromax pill and an Albuterol nebulizer treatment. I was also given a prescription for Zithromax (antibiotic) 5 days worth of prednisone for a "steroid burst" and diagnosed with Bronchitis and pleurisy. After the initial conversation with a doctor, I was informed that I would be discharged as a side note, the doctor never did come back to check to see if I was breathing correctly or not, I was discharged. Honestly, I did not feel that my breathing was stable enough to be sent out the door so quickly, however I left without protest.

I'm conflicted in regards to the billing, because I honestly was afraid I was going to die that night, so I am relieved I received treatment. Last week I received a bill from the hospital for 286 dollars and some change. I figured, "hey thats not as bad as I thought it would be!", but the bill said, I may qualify for a discount if I call. So I did, they told me if I pay in 30 days, that bill gets cut in half. I'm thinking awesome! Paid it.. Today, received another medical bill for this same emergency room visit for 618 dollars! I called the number on this bill and was told that the billing was separate that the hospital assesses a fee and so does the doctor who treated me. I told the lady I spoke with that there was no way I was going to pay this much money, number one, I cannot afford it number 2, thats absolutely insane for the amount of "work" the doctor had to perform.

I'm 29 years old, I have a nice rental home, I'm single, no children, work to support myself, I pay a student loan, I live on a fixed income. I applied for a medical card through the state of WV and was told my income was too high, nor can I afford the insurance offered by my employer what with my other bills. I'm in a limbo and uninsured.

My question (I guess a question), is such an excessive fee legal? Since I'm generally a healthy person, this is not something I've had to deal with, I don't even know where to begin looking for a way to reduce this charge, dispute it legitimacy, etc. The lady I spoke with on the phone pretty much told me its not negotiable, pay it or take a hit on my credit. I had found on google class action suits for emergency room overcharges against uninsured people, I'm not looking to sue anybody, like I said, I have a feeling of gratitude for this doctor rendering me able to breathe, but is that really worth that much money? Any help/suggestions/guidance on steps to take would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you think that bill is anything close to excessive, you need to get out more.

Yes, it is quite legal. You're extremely lucky that's all it was. You got off rather lightly, as a matter of fact.

Neelix

618 dollars is "getting off easy"? As I said, I do not seek medical treatment often, the last time I did it was by appointment at a clinic actually a similar illness (minus the breathing problems) I was given an antibiotic. That visit with a doctor that spent more time with me cost me about 75 dollars. So, while I may be inexperienced in such things, with all due respect, I'll wait for other replies before I tap into my grocery fund..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
618 dollars is "getting off easy"? As I said, I do not seek medical treatment often, the last time I did it was by appointment at a clinic actually a similar illness (minus the breathing problems) I was given an antibiotic. That visit with a doctor that spent more time with me cost me about 75 dollars. So, while I may be inexperienced in such things, with all due respect, I'll wait for other replies before I tap into my grocery fund..
I have a different take on it...my take is this:

If you think that bill is anything close to excessive, you need to get out more.

Yes, it is quite legal. You're extremely lucky that's all it was. You got off rather lightly, as a matter of fact.

(ok, it is the opposite of different)

lkc15507

OP,

For what it's worth, I understand your sentiment. But, I work in the health claims payer industry and I was quite surprised that the bill is as low as it is. I'm going to pass up a prime soapbox moment on the cost of healthcareand simply say you're not likely to find success at having your bill reduced. I've seen facilities charge more for a half hour of physical therapy.

Neelix

Well thanks for your input, I still cannot afford this bill. So, I guess its going to have to hit my credit.

Silverplum

Your ER bill is not calculated by the minutes spent.

I agree with the others. Just fyi, not legal info: http://health.costhelper.com/emergency-room.html

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well thanks for your input, I still cannot afford this bill. So, I guess its going to have to hit my credit.
I would suggest that you arrange (and stick to) a payment plan. That way you can spread it out and not have it affect your credit.

TigerD

I was having trouble breathing, coughing, flu-like symptoms and fever. I do not have medical insurance and I had not visited a doctor in years. However, due to the trouble breathing issue being extremely severe, I realized I had no alternative but to seek medical treatment...

I honestly was afraid I was going to die that night...

I have a feeling of gratitude for this doctor rendering me able to breathe, but is that really worth that much money?
If you are actually wondering if your life is worth $618, the answer is no.

Most people wouldn't have to ask that question. You aren't paying for the 5 minutes the doctor spent with you. You are paying for the 10 years the doctor spent sitting in library, staying home and studying while running up $400,000 in student loan debt while learning how to solve your breathing problem in five minutes before you died. You are paying for the existence of a 24-hour facility equipped with the equipment to save your life. You are paying the nurses, who like the doctor, have years of specialized education and training.

DC

Neelix

If you are actually wondering if your life is worth $618, the answer is no.

Most people wouldn't have to ask that question. You aren't paying for the 5 minutes the doctor spent with you. You are paying for the 10 years the doctor spent sitting in library, staying home and studying while running up $400,000 in student loan debt while learning how to solve your breathing problem in five minutes before you died. You are paying for the existence of a 24-hour facility equipped with the equipment to save your life. You are paying the nurses, who like the doctor, have years of specialized education and training.

DC
Look I get the point, I don't need the sarcasm. I am well aware the doctor, and hospital staff spend years in educational programs with substantial costs. If we're going to open that can of worms, the fact is, I could have self-treated if these medicines were not by prescription only. I've had asthmatics in my family, I know Albuterol and prednisone is the "go to medicine" for breathing problems. My mother actually has an old nebulizer machine sitting in her house I could have used. And I kinda figured I probably needed an antibiotic. Most if not all of these medications can be acquired in other countries without a prescription. And all I've got is a measly associate's degree in Network Administration, and I could have sat here and figured out what I needed.

I was merely curious if this was indeed common/legal/typical etc. I've gotten some input. Thats great, if I can arrange payments then thats what I'll do, but the lady I spoke with seemed pretty adamant that full payment was due now. I have a sense of morality to pay for debt I incur, but if its going to affect my credit score because they won't accept payments I can actually afford then, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I deal mostly in "cash only" and I don't really live beyond my means like many do these days.

lkc15507

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that if you approach them calmly and sincerely, they will accept a payment plan. Follow that payment plan and there's no reason to ruin your credit. Ask for someone in authority if the person on the phone doesn't have the authority or willingness to make the arrangement.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face :) Good luck.

Silverplum

Look I get the point, I don't need the sarcasm. I am well aware the doctor, and hospital staff spend years in educational programs with substantial costs. If we're going to open that can of worms, the fact is, I could have self-treated if these medicines were not by prescription only. I've had asthmatics in my family, I know Albuterol and prednisone is the "go to medicine" for breathing problems. My mother actually has an old nebulizer machine sitting in her house I could have used. And I kinda figured I probably needed an antibiotic. Most if not all of these medications can be acquired in other countries without a prescription. And all I've got is a measly associate's degree in Network Administration, and I could have sat here and figured out what I needed.

I was merely curious if this was indeed common/legal/typical etc. I've gotten some input. Thats great, if I can arrange payments then thats what I'll do, but the lady I spoke with seemed pretty adamant that full payment was due now. I have a sense of morality to pay for debt I incur, but if its going to affect my credit score because they won't accept payments I can actually afford then, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I deal mostly in "cash only" and I don't really live beyond my means like many do these days.
So what's your point?

Neelix

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that if you approach them calmly and sincerely, they will accept a payment plan. Follow that payment plan and there's no reason to ruin your credit. Ask for someone in authority if the person on the phone doesn't have the authority or willingness to make the arrangement.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face :) Good luck.
Thank you, I will do that. Sorry, saw the name "DebtCollector" and then read the response, seemed like about the kind of insensitive and disrespectful response I would get from someone in such a "profession". I guess the thread can be closed, thanks for the responses and insight.

Neelix

So what's your point?
That the bill seems excessive to me considering the knowledge required to treat my (admittedly severe) condition is "common" enough that in my opinion does not require 10 years of medical education, sure developing the medications to treat cost a bundle, but I'm sure those people were well taken care of. But regardless, there seems to be a majority that actually this bill is low compared to what it could have been, its the system we live under and I'll accept that.

Silverplum

Thank you, I will do that. Sorry, saw the name "DebtCollector" and then read the response, seemed like about the kind of insensitive and disrespectful response I would get from someone in such a "profession". I guess the thread can be closed, thanks for the responses and insight.
You don't get to choose who replies, nor whether their handle is pretty enough. :rolleyes:

You were answered by a licensed attorney. Guess which responder is the attorney? You only get one guess. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">