• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

KY Eviction in Circuit Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barry42211

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Signed a "Lease to Own" contract to sell my home. The tenants pulled a "bait and switch" claiming that each rent payment subtracts from the selling price. They have missed payments and I sent them notices. I filed a Forcible Detainer with the District Court but it was tossed out because the contract has an option to buy the property. I am the perfect victim for these thieves because I am disabled and have no resources to evict them. District Judge said I needed to file in Circuit Court to evict them.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Signed a "Lease to Own" contract to sell my home. The tenants pulled a "bait and switch" claiming that each rent payment subtracts from the selling price. They have missed payments and I sent them notices. I filed a Forcible Detainer with the District Court but it was tossed out because the contract has an option to buy the property. I am the perfect victim for these thieves because I am disabled and have no resources to evict them. District Judge said I needed to file in Circuit Court to evict them.
You should do what the JUDGE told you to do.

Best of luck

Blue

barry42211

Do as the Judge says?

If I had any resources to hire an attorney I would not be asking for advice how to proceed in the Circuit Court. I know a Writ of Possession is filed but I do not know if it filed like a Forcible Detainer? I represent myself in Court.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If I had any resources to hire an attorney I would not be asking for advice how to proceed in the Circuit Court. I know a Writ of Possession is filed but I do not know if it filed like a Forcible Detainer? I represent myself in Court.
I would suggest that you do whatever you need to in order to retain an attorney. You cannot handle this yourself.

single317dad

Consider how much this debacle is currently costing you. Now compare that to the cost of an attorney. Seems a little cheaper now, doesn't it?

Your problem is not that you need to file "eviction" in circuit court. A forcible detainer is an eviction. What you need to file is a foreclosure, because the tenant used the existence of a land contract as a defense and defeated your forcible detainer motion. Be advised that in the current lending environment, foreclosure can take years to accomplish, and there are certain steps you as a lender must take to assist your borrowers.

It appears you jumped into being a mortgage lender without first doing the proper research. Now you're likely stuck with these tenants for quite some time to come. Either hire a lawyer to assist you, or come to some agreement with the tenants that will get them paying regularly again.

This website may help your understanding of eviction and foreclosure in Kentucky:

http://www.kylandlords.com/how_to_evict_a_tenant_in_kentucky/

LdiJ

Consider how much this debacle is currently costing you. Now compare that to the cost of an attorney. Seems a little cheaper now, doesn't it?

Your problem is not that you need to file "eviction" in circuit court. A forcible detainer is an eviction. What you need to file is a foreclosure, because the tenant used the existence of a land contract as a defense and defeated your forcible detainer motion. Be advised that in the current lending environment, foreclosure can take years to accomplish, and there are certain steps you as a lender must take to assist your borrowers.

It appears you jumped into being a mortgage lender without first doing the proper research. Now you're likely stuck with these tenants for quite some time to come. Either hire a lawyer to assist you, or come to some agreement with the tenants that will get them paying regularly again.

This website may help your understanding of eviction and foreclosure in Kentucky:

http://www.kylandlords.com/how_to_evict_a_tenant_in_kentucky/
It might not be that dire. Its not a land contract its a lease to own. At minimum the OP should have the lease to own contract reviewed by a real estate attorney to get an opinion of the situation. An "option to buy" is not the same as a contract sale.

single317dad

It might not be that dire. Its not a land contract its a lease to own. At minimum the OP should have the lease to own contract reviewed by a real estate attorney to get an opinion of the situation. An "option to buy" is not the same as a contract sale.
I filed a Forcible Detainer with the District Court but it was tossed out because the contract has an option to buy the property... District Judge said I needed to file [foreclosure] in Circuit Court to evict them.
What OP said in the initial post is exactly how the ruling would have come down when the judge determined that an eviction was not proper because the property was sold under contract, not leased. The link I provided explains Kentucky's laws on the matter.

LdiJ

What OP said in the initial post is exactly how the ruling would have come down when the judge determined that an eviction was not proper because the property was sold under contract, not leased. The link I provided explains Kentucky's laws on the matter.
OP represented themselves in court and may have done it badly. It at least needs to be reviewed by a attorney.

barry42211

No Help

I represent myself in Court. I have done it before and will do it again. I do not need anyone to recommend I hire a lawyer! I am capable of filing my own motions with a little research...all I am asking for is help with a little research.

You don't necessarily need to retain an attorney. Go consult with one for an hour or two so they can advise you on how to proceed. You could potentially spend a lot more money filing in the wrong Court, having your cases tossed out and the tenants still not paying in the meantime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">