• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unknowingly purchasing total loss car from private seller

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmizz

In CO. I purchased a total loss vehicle from a private seller a couple months ago, and just found out it was a total loss. He verbally told me it has not been in an accident. Is there anyway I would be able to return the car and get a refund?

-Trevor

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
In CO. I purchased a total loss vehicle from a private seller a couple months ago, and just found out it was a total loss. He verbally told me it has not been in an accident. Is there anyway I would be able to return the car and get a refund?

-Trevor
Caveat emptor.

Enjoy your new car. :cool:

tmizz

I thought that may be the case but was not sure if there are any laws on disclosing a total loss or salvage title vehicle.

tmizz

He also said, in writing, that it has warranty. The total loss actual voids that so that was a lie.

single317dad

He also said, in writing, that it has warranty. The total loss actual voids that so that was a lie.
A warranty provided by whom? Which covers what, exactly?

Have you had a mechanical failure covered under the "warranty"? If so, has the seller facilitated a repair?

tmizz

The warranty is from the manufacturer (10 year, 100k). It is a power train warranty. I have not had anything fail since I have owned it but after an inspection there is quite a lot wrong with it that would have been covered by that warranty.

tmizz

Should have gotten that inspection, and examined the title, BEFORE you bought the car.
I could not agree with you more as far as the inspection and am still kicking myself for that. Sadly you just can't always trust people. The title is clean for it was deemed total loss by the insurance company but not the DMV, therefore on the car report it says total loss but on the title it says clean.

single317dad

The warranty is from the manufacturer (10 year, 100k). It is a power train warranty. I have not had anything fail since I have owned it but after an inspection there is quite a lot wrong with it that would have been covered by that warranty.
Have you contacted the manufacturer to verify the warranty?
Did you do so before the purchase?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If a vehicle is "totaled" by the insurance company, then the DMV will pick up on that. Are you sure you have the whole story?

tmizz

I did call the manufacturer and they said it doesn't transfer. I don't even have the story from him. He told me it was fine, not accidents, perfect condition. Then when I had it inspected by a mechanic he said there were lots of problems, so I bought the carfax and found out it was stolen previously, crashed, and considered a total loss vehicle.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If it's not a branded title, then the warrenty shouldn't be voided either.
Right. But the problem the OP has is that the warranty (per the mfg) is not transferable. This has nothing to do with the status of the title. The OP didn't do his due diligence in verifying that the warranty would transfer to a new owner.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Don't worry, OP, you might get over 300k miles* on that Hyundai. Keep the oil changed and change timing belt as recommended. :cool:

*Original/current owner of a 2k3 Hyundai with >300k miles.

Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e., selected engine and transmission/transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model-year vehicles. On 1999-2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx?k_clickid=f9daab80-ebb2-4b4c-9fea-6492ea2654fa&cmpid=sem_google

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">