• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Sued about car jet ski trade.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhbsebll

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I traded two jet skis and a trailer for a car back in 2008. The guy is now suing me claiming there are liens on the title for the jet skis and trailer. I got the title for the car registered to my name but apparently this guy did not get his stuff registered in his. The summons says the property was taken on 7/10/2013 which is not the case. He is suing for the car back. I am not aware of any reason for any liens. I was wondering if I need to do much more than provide the title saying that we made the trade in 2008 and this is his fault for not taking care of this back then.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I traded two jet skis and a trailer for a car back in 2008. The guy is now suing me claiming there are liens on the title for the jet skis and trailer. I got the title for the car registered to my name but apparently this guy did not get his stuff registered in his. The summons says the property was taken on 7/10/2013 which is not the case. He is suing for the car back. I am not aware of any reason for any liens. I was wondering if I need to do much more than provide the title saying that we made the trade in 2008 and this is his fault for not taking care of this back then.
What is your evidence that the property was not taken? That could be important. Did you have any credit or tax issues that could have caused a general lien being put against your property in the last 6 years? If he didn't properly register the jet skis and trailer more current liens could have gone against them, which would not be your fault. Statutes of limitation could also apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">