• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School lunch with Son on Ex-wife's day?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commishaffl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My two sons 4 and 6 go to different schools but both schools allow parents to either come to the school and eat lunch with my son or pick them up and take them out to lunch and return them after lunch period.

On the days that the custody schedule shows are my ex-wife's can I go to lunch with them without her permission? Or is it "her day" regardless of whether or not she is with them 100% of the time that day?

My ex-wife and I are both at work on these days and the only conflict I could see is if we both decided to go to lunch with one of the boys.
However I do not believe that would ever happen. But if it did I would back off that day.

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My two sons 4 and 6 go to different schools but both schools allow parents to either come to the school and eat lunch with my son or pick them up and take them out to lunch and return them after lunch period.

On the days that the custody schedule shows are my ex-wife's can I go to lunch with them without her permission? Or is it "her day" regardless of whether or not she is with them 100% of the time that day?

My ex-wife and I are both at work on these days and the only conflict I could see is if we both decided to go to lunch with one of the boys.
However I do not believe that would ever happen. But if it did I would back off that day.

Thank you.
Is there a reason you can't discuss this with the ex?

Does the ex still live with you?

CJane

Unless your order specifies otherwise, there's nothing to stop you from visiting the school, regardless of whose custodial day it is. That said, I wouldn't recommend taking the child from school and going OUT to lunch, but rather eating in the cafeteria.

commishaffl

I am planning on discussing it with my ex-wife. However I wanted to see the legal side of it if possible prior to bringing it up.
And there is nothing in our decree/petition that says I cannot visit the boys at school.

She can get irritated with a lot of things very quickly.

She will start with "it is my day regardless of whether or not I am with them" and "you cannot see them on those days".

So removing them from the school is not the best idea. Ok.

Thanks.

Proserpina

I am planning on discussing it with my ex-wife. However I wanted to see the legal side of it if possible prior to bringing it up.
And there is nothing in our decree/petition that says I cannot visit the boys at school.

She can get irritated with a lot of things very quickly.

She will start with "it is my day regardless of whether or not I am with them" and "you cannot see them on those days".

So removing them from the school is not the best idea. Ok.

Thanks.

That's very disheartening.

I wonder if she'd feel the same if custody was reversed.

(I'm not suggesting you actually try to make her think about that because, well, you can't fix stupid - but it's very sad that she's not thinking of her child)

LdiJ

That's very disheartening.

I wonder if she'd feel the same if custody was reversed.

(I'm not suggesting you actually try to make her think about that because, well, you can't fix stupid - but it's very sad that she's not thinking of her child)
I am not sure that we have quite enough of the backstory to make that judgment at this point. For all we know there is a 50/50 schedule, therefore no custody to reverse.

Proserpina

I am not sure that we have quite enough of the backstory to make that judgment at this point. For all we know there is a 50/50 schedule, therefore no custody to reverse.

You missed my point, I think. That being, if Mom was faced with Dad not wanting her to be there for lunch...how do you think she'd feel?

LdiJ

You missed my point, I think. That being, if Mom was faced with Dad not wanting her to be there for lunch...how do you think she'd feel?
I don't know. If mom feels very strongly that mom's days are mom's days and dad's days are dad's days, then she might feel that she should not do that on dad's days, therefore it might not bother her at all. Everybody views it differently. I personally think that things should be much looser than that, but I am not inside everybody else's custody situations. If dad doesn't have any weekday time then I thoroughly understand dad's dilemma. If dad does have weekday time then unless he plans to eat lunch daily with the child (which might end up being a little disruptive), why not just do it on his days? Why choose mom's days if it requires getting legal advice as to whether or not that is possible?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">