• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Door to Door Littering?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PhotoMu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Please forgive me is this isn't the right place to put this thread. I went through the listings and this was the closest match I could find.

I was curious about litter law, if you don't mind.

My local big newspaper, undoubtedly in an effort to generate lost revenue, has been creating circular ads 2-3 times per week. They're tossing these wrapped free "community papers" (comprised only of ads) onto everyone's door steps. Frequently, their paperboy is lazy and they're throwing several copies on each door.

These mailings aren't always packaged well and they often become windblown and litter the neighborhood with pages of their paper. Most people, at least in my neighborhood, aren't interested in these circulars and they drop them directly into the trash.

If I went door-to-door and dropped McDonald's wrappers for every person, it would be considered litter. Couldn't this also be considered litter as it's mostly unwanted advertising?

I wrote the newspaper a lengthy letter (and took pics) and they called my voicemail. I'll call them later. I'm just curious why tossing McDonald's papers in my yard would be considered littering but this might not be considered littering. Any thoughts?

Thanks much!!

justalayman

actually, it might be but if it is considered such, it is going to be a local issue where the local authorities choose to deal with it or not. Have you contacted the heads of the municipality (city, town, whatever) and addressed this to them? have you called the police and asked about their position on the issue?

PhotoMu

Newspapers hold a special place in the hearts of the country.
Indeed....but though this is published by a newspaper, these are merely advertising circulars. I'd love to know if there are restrictions on this sort of thing

PhotoMu

actually, it might be but if it is considered such, it is going to be a local issue where the local authorities choose to deal with it or not. Have you contacted the heads of the municipality (city, town, whatever) and addressed this to them? have you called the police and asked about their position on the issue?
I've called no one yet .... just wrote to the newspaper on Facebook. I finally hit my limit of picking up their trash today and began looking into this issue only this morning.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Indeed....but though this is published by a newspaper, these are merely advertising circulars. I'd love to know if there are restrictions on this sort of thing
By their very nature, a newspaper is just a glorified advertising circular

FlyingRon

Most of these junk delivery companies maintain two lists the "Make sure to deliver list" and the "Never deliver list." See if you can get yourself on the latter. I took to picking up the weekly ad rag paper and driving by their office on my way to work and throwing it back at them. Didn't really accomplish anything other than making me feel better.

justalayman

Most of these junk delivery companies maintain two lists the "Make sure to deliver list" and the "Never deliver list." See if you can get yourself on the latter. I took to picking up the weekly ad rag paper and driving by their office on my way to work and throwing it back at them. Didn't really accomplish anything other than making me feel better.
sure, just one guy doing it is just one guy but if you can get a couple guys doing it, then it's a protest and if you can get hundreds of people doing it, then it's a movement!!!

PhotoMu

That's awesome!

single317dad

From time to time, I've implemented the idea of putting two companies' junk mail in each other's reply envelope and mailing them both off. I like your approach better.

I've put myself on the "don't bring me any telephone directories" list at least 4 times (twice at my old address of 15 years, and twice at my current one). I still get about a dozen every year.

PhotoMu

From time to time, I've implemented the idea of putting two companies' junk mail in each other's reply envelope and mailing them both off. I like your approach better.

I've put myself on the "don't bring me any telephone directories" list at least 4 times (twice at my old address of 15 years, and twice at my current one). I still get about a dozen every year.
Yeah, I hate the phone directories too -- I get so many of them. I think I've not used a phone directory since the mid 90s lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">