• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My fiance's ex-wife and her attorney are ordering fiancee to produce MY SS#, d.o.b.,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lindsaym1977

Nebraska

My fiance has had Primary Physical Custody and Joint Legal Custody of his 4 year old daughter for the past 3 years. Just recently his ex-wife is filing for Joint Custody and modification for the removal of Child Support. Her attorney just recently sent him a lengthy packet of interrogatories. One of which they are requesting he provide MY social security #, date of birth, medical history, educational history, etc. I assume this is for a background check, which I am more than willing to submit to if and only if MY personal information does not land in the hands of this individual. Is this even legal? Do I have to provide this information. I honestly DO NOT feel comfortable doing so as I have been the victim of identity theft in the past. Also, my fiance and I have a 6 month old son who was born prematurely and is currently on Oxygen and her and her attorney are requesting HIS medical history and diagnosis'. I don't feel that this is any relevance as it poses no threat to my fiance's daughters health. Any advice would be appreciated

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Nebraska

My fiance has had Primary Physical Custody and Joint Legal Custody of his 4 year old daughter for the past 3 years. Just recently his ex-wife is filing for Joint Custody and modification for the removal of Child Support. Her attorney just recently sent him a lengthy packet of interrogatories. One of which they are requesting he provide MY social security #, date of birth, medical history, educational history, etc. I assume this is for a background check, which I am more than willing to submit to if and only if MY personal information does not land in the hands of this individual. Is this even legal? Do I have to provide this information. I honestly DO NOT feel comfortable doing so as I have been the victim of identity theft in the past. Also, my fiance and I have a 6 month old son who was born prematurely and is currently on Oxygen and her and her attorney are requesting HIS medical history and diagnosis'. I don't feel that this is any relevance as it poses no threat to my fiance's daughters health. Any advice would be appreciated
They can ask for your social security number and date of birth and such. You are an adult living in the home with the child. As for your child's medical history and diagnosis, that is not relevant.

Lindsaym1977

Is there any law that supports this? If I were to refuse but offer criminal background check with personal info blackened out would that suffice?

Proserpina

Is there any law that supports this? If I were to refuse but offer criminal background check with personal info blackened out would that suffice?
If it were me, I wouldn't give out those details unless I'm threatened with contempt.

And even then... I'd have an attorney draft a very polite letter to the opposing attorney.

LdiJ

If it were me, I wouldn't give out those details unless I'm threatened with contempt.

And even then... I'd have an attorney draft a very polite letter to the opposing attorney.
I agree. A vindictive ex could do serious damage with that kind of information.

single317dad

For each interrogatory you don't want to answer, object and state your reasoning. Opposing counsel may or may not drop the issue, and the judge may or may not order your fiance to produce the answer.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
For starters - your fiance's ex and her lawyer cannot "order" him to do anything - only a judge can.

What did your fiance's lawyer tell him wrt this situation? He DOES have a lawyer, right?

Lindsaym1977

Yes he does have a lawyer, and I am going to sit in on next meeting with him to go over what pertains to me and our son, but as of yet his lawyer hasn't instilled much confidence in my reservations about it. I'm trying to determine at this point if I can/should downright refuse to provide the information. 😣

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes he does have a lawyer, and I am going to sit in on next meeting with him to go over what pertains to me and our son, but as of yet his lawyer hasn't instilled much confidence in my reservations about it. I'm trying to determine at this point if I can/should downright refuse to provide the information. 
You can refuse but your husband might find that he is compelled to produce it.

LdiJ

You can refuse but your husband might find that he is compelled to produce it.
I don't see how he can be compelled to provide someone else's information...and I cannot imagine a judge compelling him to provide detailed medical information about an infant who is not part of the custody case. That is a serious privacy intrusion.

There are even federal laws that prohibit people from being compelled to release their SSNs.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You may be wise to consult w/an attorney of your own - your fiance's attorney is going to be looking out for his client's best interests, not yours. Just because it's good for him doesn't mean it's right for you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't see how he can be compelled to provide someone else's information...and I cannot imagine a judge compelling him to provide detailed medical information about an infant who is not part of the custody case. That is a serious privacy intrusion.

There are even federal laws that prohibit people from being compelled to release their SSNs.
If he has access to it and it is under his care, custody, control, he can be compelled to provide it as the OP is a member of Father's household -- from the sounds of things. It is also possible that it can be held against him since he is going for custody and OP affects that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">