• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(NJ) Parking ticket - Yellow-painted curb

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phil97

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hi, I've got a ticket for parking at prohibited area, right in front of my house. I thought it was strange as I've parked there w/o any problem since May when I moved in. I later found the curb there was yellow-painted only after I took a close look. Also, I don't see any reason for that curb to be painted yellow. It's not near hydrant, stop sign or intersection as well as not blocking any driveways. (My house is near the end of cul-de-sac.) It's a bit short a curb but enough to cover a small car like mine. I even suspect it was painted by neighbor not by town's parking authority.

So I made a call to a court and pointed out 1) it was too washed out and 2) there seems to be no reason to prohibit parking there but only heard I could dispute when I appear in court. As far as I know, NJ isn't allowing trial by written declaration and I'm not sure if I can make it to go to court. How can I better handle this problem?

Many thanks in advice, Phil

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hi, I've got a ticket for parking at prohibited area, right in front of my house. I thought it was strange as I've parked there w/o any problem since May when I moved in. I later found the curb there was yellow-painted only after I took a close look. Also, I don't see any reason for that curb to be painted yellow. It's not near hydrant, stop sign or intersection as well as not blocking any driveways. (My house is near the end of cul-de-sac.) It's a bit short a curb but enough to cover a small car like mine. I even suspect it was painted by neighbor not by town's parking authority.

So I made a call to a court and pointed out 1) it was too washed out and 2) there seems to be no reason to prohibit parking there but only heard I could dispute when I appear in court. As far as I know, NJ isn't allowing trial by written declaration and I'm not sure if I can make it to go to court. How can I better handle this problem?

Many thanks in advice, Phil
Phil, You can handle this better by consulting with an attorney. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving
Blue

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
As far as I know, NJ isn't allowing trial by written declaration and I'm not sure if I can make it to go to court. How can I better handle this problem?
Yes, this is not California. So you are left with two choices - either hire an attorney to appear for you or suck it up and go to court yourself.

How much is the fine? And exactly what statute were you cited for violating?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">