• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident at intersection, driver fled the scene. Need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexander8317

I was involved in an accident where the other driver fled the scene. I was making a left turn onto a road and a car that was going straight from the other side struck the passenger side of my car. I really believed that this car was going to make a right turn onto the same road I was turning into instead of going straight. I got out of the car, asked if all were okay (they said yes). They then asked me to move my car, which I proceeded to do and I parked in a small side street. When I got out and turned around the other car had left. I called the cops and proceeded to explain everything I just wrote here to the officer.

I now have put in a request for the accident report. However, I think there is a possibility that I could be at fault for the accident, although the officer didn't really make any specific comments about this. He just listened to my story and filled out the report. This is my first accident ever. What do you guys think? Will I be at fault for the accident since I turned when I should've yielded to the car going straight (even though I thought she would make a right turn)? Should I file with my insurance company, considering the other driver fled anyway? Does it all depend on what the officer wrote on the report? I don't have full coverage. The damage to my car is pretty significant, but I was able to drive it home. Don't think it's totalled, though. Maybe upwards of $2,000.

Thanks for all of your insight.

ecmst12

You're at fault, and there's no point to filing with your insurance company if you don't have collision coverage.

Just Blue

I was involved in an accident where the other driver fled the scene. I was making a left turn onto a road and a car that was going straight from the other side struck the passenger side of my car. I really believed that this car was going to make a right turn onto the same road I was turning into instead of going straight. I got out of the car, asked if all were okay (they said yes). They then asked me to move my car, which I proceeded to do and I parked in a small side street. When I got out and turned around the other car had left. I called the cops and proceeded to explain everything I just wrote here to the officer.

I now have put in a request for the accident report. However, I think there is a possibility that I could be at fault for the accident, although the officer didn't really make any specific comments about this. He just listened to my story and filled out the report. This is my first accident ever. What do you guys think? Will I be at fault for the accident since I turned when I should've yielded to the car going straight (even though I thought she would make a right turn)? Should I file with my insurance company, considering the other driver fled anyway? Does it all depend on what the officer wrote on the report? I don't have full coverage. The damage to my car is pretty significant, but I was able to drive it home. Don't think it's totalled, though. Maybe upwards of $2,000.

Thanks for all of your insight.
Per your post you seem to be the at fault driver. The other driver may have had ...issues...and decided to "eat" the damage to his/her car. You will likely have to pay for your own as well.

Don't ever "trust" a turn sig. ...;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">