• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police prank (using official police car and lights) caused IEED to 4 year old daughte

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baba1978

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
state : NC

A police officer, in the driveway of his home, in his home neighbourhood (where we also live) , part of a subdivision had his lights on (siren lights) and police car parked in his driveway on halloween night 2014.
my wife was taking my kid and other kids from the nighbourhood trick or treating.

when my daughter approached the front door, she screamed in horror . my wife looked and under the tire of the police car was a body with head missing (showing as if it was crushed by the tire").
my daughter was stepping in the fake blood that was pumping from the body, my daughter did not know.
her leggings (white) had fake blood on them (from stepping and splashes) not knowing she was stepping in blood.
she was standing there crying histerically.
mom pulled her and the other kids from the scene and tried to calm her down, she would not stop screaming for a long time.

i have pictures of the police car with the scene. many neighbours also have similar pictures (thanks to iphones etc).
I also have the red stained leggings.

my daughter could not sleep and had nightmares and shivers every time she sees a police car.
she cried a lot that night. slept very late in mommy's bed. she has been "distant" and "super scared" about everything since then.
she still says she hates halloween and does not want halloween ever again.
she has nightmares that are too scary to talk about.

I am worried about my daughter's mental sanity.
she has been a different person after this incident, immediately since after.

i made my wife write and sign a deposition to which i witnessed (more than 4 pages) detailing everything that she recalls.
i did not go to the police...this is the police....

i do not want to open hate doors on me due to my ethnicity and the harrasment /bullying i could and my wife and kids could face.
however we are moving soon to another location so we won't be neighbours with this cop anymore so i am now considering taking action,depending if the settlement would be worth it or not, court costs being in the thousands easily....
I am subscribed to the thread via email so i will get your reply very quickly

thanks for your help,
dad of a 4 year old princess....

anearthw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
state : NC

A police officer, in the driveway of his home, in his home neighbourhood (where we also live) , part of a subdivision had his lights on (siren lights) and police car parked in his driveway on halloween night 2014.
my wife was taking my kid and other kids from the nighbourhood trick or treating.

when my daughter approached the front door, she screamed in horror . my wife looked and under the tire of the police car was a body with head missing (showing as if it was crushed by the tire").
my daughter was stepping in the fake blood that was pumping from the body, my daughter did not know.
her leggings (white) had fake blood on them (from stepping and splashes) not knowing she was stepping in blood.
she was standing there crying histerically.
mom pulled her and the other kids from the scene and tried to calm her down, she would not stop screaming for a long time.

i have pictures of the police car with the scene. many neighbours also have similar pictures (thanks to iphones etc).
I also have the red stained leggings.

my daughter could not sleep and had nightmares and shivers every time she sees a police car.
she cried a lot that night. slept very late in mommy's bed. she has been "distant" and "super scared" about everything since then.
she still says she hates halloween and does not want halloween ever again.
she has nightmares that are too scary to talk about.

I am worried about my daughter's mental sanity.
she has been a different person after this incident, immediately since after.

i made my wife write and sign a deposition to which i witnessed (more than 4 pages) detailing everything that she recalls.
i did not go to the police...this is the police....

i do not want to open hate doors on me due to my ethnicity and the harrasment /bullying i could and my wife and kids could face.
however we are moving soon to another location so we won't be neighbours with this cop anymore so i am now considering taking action,depending if the settlement would be worth it or not, court costs being in the thousands easily....
I am subscribed to the thread via email so i will get your reply very quickly

thanks for your help,
dad of a 4 year old princess....
Well, that was dumb of the officer I suppose. You could complain to the agency. You have no lawsuit. Exactly how do you intend to prove you deserve financial compensation for a child being scared on Halloween over three months ago? Do you think it is unreasonable that soneone would put out scary displays on Halloween? Good luck with that. Not a financial win.

baba1978

There was Intentional distress caused to the public by a public servant.

hi,
thanks for the quick reply.
There was Intentional distress caused to the public by a public servant using public equipment.
kids trust police and on halloween they would reasonnably expect a trick or treat basket and a few public friendly halloween things.

this scene was around the time of the beheadings that occured in the US and elsewhere...which brings another harm to the public.
a prank beheading scene from a police car...
I am not sure the police dept would want those pictures reaching the media.

besides the lawsuits, is it legal to ask for compensation without a lawsuit or else the pics go to the media including the story?
we are talking about a police car with the city's name on it and it is a huge city....one of the top 4 in the state.

LdiJ

Well, that was dumb of the officer I suppose. You could complain to the agency. You have no lawsuit. Exactly how do you intend to prove you deserve financial compensation for a child being scared on Halloween over three months ago? Do you think it is unreasonable that soneone would put out scary displays on Halloween? Good luck with that. Not a financial win.
I am not entirely sure I agree...nor entirely sure that I disagree. I DO think that a complaint to the agency is in order because I think it was highly inappropriate on the part of the officer...and in fact, I think that complaint should have been made the very next day.

Silverplum

hi,
thanks for the quick reply.
There was Intentional distress caused to the public by a public servant using public equipment.
kids trust police and on halloween they would reasonnably expect a trick or treat basket and a few public friendly halloween things.

this scene was around the time of the beheadings that occured in the US and elsewhere...which brings another harm to the public.
a prank beheading scene from a police car...
I am not sure the police dept would want those pictures reaching the media.

besides the lawsuits, is it legal to ask for compensation without a lawsuit or else the pics go to the media including the story?
we are talking about a police car with the city's name on it and it is a huge city....one of the top 4 in the state.
That's called "extortion," and it's illegal.

I advise you and your family to get over yourselves, and provide one for each of you silly people: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: You just want $$ for nothing (and probably chicks for free.)

justalayman

I suggest you never take your child trick or treating again and definitely do not go to the haunted house in my area. There are "dead bodies" and gruesome and gory stuff all over the place.

It is your obligation as a parent to make sure your child is not exposed to situations that would traumatize them. You failed when you took your child trick or treating.

You saw the lights on. If you approached a police car without checking why the lights were on, the fault is yours. If you could not see the "body" then I guess you need to pay better attention to what your child might be exposed to.

part of a subdivision had his lights on (siren lights) and police car parked in his driveway on halloween night 2014.
what are siren lights?

baba1978

it took me a while to reply because i was "researching" based on the complaint.

The complaint wont do my daughter good, it will just put my family in the "blacklisted" neighbours.

my daughter can be evaluated by a psychologist who can write a report.
assuming the report shows emotional distress, would I have a case then with all the photo and witness evidence?

Silverplum

it took me a while to reply because i was "researching" based on the complaint.

The complaint wont do my daughter good, it will just put my family in the "blacklisted" neighbours.

my daughter can be evaluated by a psychologist who can write a report.
assuming the report shows emotional distress, would I have a case then with all the photo and witness evidence?
Don't participate if you can't handle it. Don't go to the rodeo if you don't want to see calves being roped and tiny kids riding sheep. :rolleyes:

baba1978

so ...you think a judge would tell me the same

hi,
so it is a staff issue at the police department and a complaint will solve their problem... but not my daughter.
I am afraid to even assess the impact this could have on her as a teen if she is pulled over on halloween night...
when is a prank too much?

so you say this is more talkshow material than court material even though a girl will never be the same again?

CdwJava

It sounds like you are determined to believe this is the lawsuit lottery and you've won. So, since you are clearly bent on pursuing this I suggest you gather your pennies and consult an attorney. Keep in mind that it might cost you tens of thousands of dollars to get to roll these dice, so, good luck.

baba1978

Don't participate if you can't handle it. Don't go to the rodeo if you don't want to see calves being roped and tiny kids riding sheep. :rolleyes:
Kids can handle that... they cant handle stepping in the calf's blood , splashing their clothing, with the calf's head under a police car and the officer laughing it off using public police equipment designed to ensure public safety to promote this malice.

baba1978

It sounds like you are determined to believe this is the lawsuit lottery and you've won. So, since you are clearly bent on pursuing this I suggest you gather your pennies and consult an attorney. Keep in mind that it might cost you tens of thousands of dollars to get to roll these dice, so, good luck.
no, actually i am listening to the voice of reason rather than justice....
i apreciate your "wake up call" and will most likely not folllow through with any legality because i listen to advises....

but it is that "i need to know why not" that keeps me reposting but i do get the big picture: to let it go.

thank you for all your replies and i know you are volunteering and offering them in my best interest.

CdwJava

I agree that this was a dumb call by the officer to use his patrol car as part of a gory display. But, I doubt that you have much of a complaint that your child saw a gory (and lawful) display on Halloween night in a public place. If anything, you have a possible personnel complaint against the officer. But, a lawsuit? I don't see it.

Silverplum

Kids can handle that... they cant handle stepping in the calf's blood , splashing their clothing, with the calf's head under a police car and the officer laughing it off using public police equipment designed to ensure public safety to promote this malice.
It's *not* "malice."

It's part of our culture. Adapt. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">